Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, April 28, 2006

I'm Famous, but they still can't pronounce my name

Someone made a comment last week that my name is in the paper a lot. I disagreed and said, once or twice maybe. Then my name was in the paper twice this week. First in the school newspaper regarding one of my students who was nominated for an award (I was interviewed as the nominator) and then in the Glendale newspaper regarding a program that I'm giving next month for PTA. I'm famous.

My student's butchered my name in class a lot yesterday--I corrected them and then said, it's probably a good thing that they mispronounce my name, because I'm sure I'll do the same with theirs. Ms. Hill disagreed. They just love to argue. [I especially enjoyed showing them how Lawyers can argue about anything. In our mock case there are hardly no facts to support extraordinary punitive damages, so I told them they could only allege those damages if they could make an argument for them. Ms. Hill wanted to know if disciplinary action was taken against attorneys who violate moral standards by arguing for punitive damages when there are not facts to support them. I proceeded to make a rather compelling argument for punitive damages on our very limited facts to a room (ok six out of twelve or so) full of astonished faces. Teaching this class is so much fun.]

We had the school supervisor for ROP observing my class on Tuesday and the students kept chitty chatting and it was hard to keep order. We started late and in general the class felt disorganized. We got our work done, but ... . So on Thursday, I gave a little lecture about how they made me look bad in front of the supervisor and how in the business world things like being on time and staying on task are really important. Chitty chatting decreased, but was not fully contained. Oh well, I'm not going to quit my day job.

2 Comments:

  • At May 1, 2006 at 3:29 PM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    Can I go with the obvious question here: What's so hard to pronounce??? I think your name is pretty straight-forward, don't you?

     
  • At May 2, 2006 at 7:15 AM, Blogger paulette said…

    You'd be surprised how many people don't see the "out" in Van Houten they all think it looks like a Hoot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home