Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

30 and counting

My house is getting to the point in which I must hire someone to take care of all the little things that have been falling by the wayside. The termite guy said the trim must be painted, so we'll start with that. I thought it might be a good idea to make a list of all the things that I am aware of that need to be done--not because I am an expert or anything, but I've noticed things here and there that I think to myself, if I was one of those HGTV people, I'd fix that. The list has thirty things on it. Only a couple are pipe dreams (heater for my bathroom--never going to happen my friend). Some are getting rather imparative--check ceiling in laundry room. It's turning yellow and I just don't think that's a good thing. New screen for the crawl space. Every worker or inspecter who goes under the house complains about the screen for the crawl space. I stapled a large fed ex envelope to the frame of the screen (that's all torn out) to keep critters out. To me it was an inovative solution--those envelopes are impossible to rip--but to the rest of the planet it's a bandaid that's falling off. To each person who's complained I've asked who would create a new screen for the crawl space--who do I call to do that job. They've each said that I could do it myself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. (Do you remember that comedy act, Mom?) If anyone of them had wanted to earn a quick $100, I gladly would pay it.

Adam wants to built a structure in the back yard and get a pool table. I'm not sure that is feasible, but the plan is knocking its way around our house. He also wants to knock down the outside wall to his room and make it bigger. There's another pipe dream--never going to happen my friend. My plan is to build a kitchenette in the sitting room, take out the bathtub and have a walkin shower and put a washer/dryer in my bathroom. Then take out the door to the other part of the house and have my own house in the back. Pipe dreams--they're fun sometimes.

5 Comments:

  • At April 5, 2006 at 4:53 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    If only you had a pipe and knew how to use one.

     
  • At April 6, 2006 at 7:52 AM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    What kind of pipe have you been smokin'?

     
  • At April 6, 2006 at 1:22 PM, Blogger Tim B. said…

    Sounds like you need something like "Rent a Husband." I don't know what they call that kind of thing over there. Basically, guys that are very handy (typically retired) do all kinds of small jobs for people that just want to get it done rather than do it themselves. I could do some Googling for ya.

    Try checking the Yellow Pages. Oh, try this! Go to the Service Counter at a Home Depot and/or Lowe's and tell them you are needing a "jack of all trades Mr. fixit!" Guys like that ALWAYS leave their business cards and there is often a cork board near the exits with tons of guys to call on.

    Good luck and let me know how it goes.

     
  • At April 7, 2006 at 7:24 AM, Blogger paulette said…

    Oh, dear. I have a dozen funny comments floating around in my head about retired fix-it persons. But coming from an ex wife they might seem more vindictive than funny so I will stifle.

     
  • At April 7, 2006 at 9:34 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    I told Marisa I needed to "rent a husband" and she looked at me really, really funny. It took about five minutes to explain what I meant. oye.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home