Procrastination (But I Digress)

Saturday, March 04, 2006

March Already

I won the speech contest. My competition--the other two speechs were so depressing and I did send around a box of Thin Mints, so that might have bribed the judges a little. My class is down to a manageable size, but be careful what you wish for: I have three or four very gung ho students--definitely pre-law, who challenge every single thing I do or say. Talk about keeping on your toes. I already miss my do nothing students (almost). I had to take an "inservice" training about teaching career essentials yesterday. The speaker actually taught one of the lessons that we are to teach to the students. The subject was Harrassment and it seems like important, interesting material, but I was seriously afraid I'd start snoring. I was so sleepy and bored and unable to keep my eyes open. I played sudoko the whole time even and still my eyes were closing. Imagine what the kids will be going through. I think I'll make it a research project to actually look up the underlying laws against harrassment to see just how complex and scary the whole subject really is. I'm reading their essays about their interests and quite a few are interested in criminal law. I wish I had a mock trial for a criminal case--that's what I need to find (because I really have too much time on my hands).

TTFN

2 Comments:

  • At March 6, 2006 at 6:41 AM, Blogger Tim B. said…

    Howdy,

    About your gung ho students. When they challenge you on everything, is it welcome, or annoying? If annoying you need to heckle. Maybe tell one to come up and teach the class.

    It reminded me of a logic class I took in college. There was this girl ("gung ho") who always sat up front and spouted off like she knew everything and could have taught the class. One time another girl ("girl 2") asked the teacher a question, and "gung ho" turned around and answered. "Girl 2" looked at her and very coldly said "I didn't ask you." That seemed to have shut up "gung ho" for a while. 'Twas a thing of beauty.

     
  • At March 6, 2006 at 9:59 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Oh, I love them all--I try not to heckle but your story does sound cool. We'll get to technical stuff soon and I'll make them argue the opposite side of their opinion. That will be torture enough.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home