Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Encore, encore

Have I mentioned how much fun Toastmasters is? I had signed up to give a speech last night, because my class is over so I should have had more time to prepare this week versus other weeks. Of course it never works like that and I ended up being completely unprepared. What to do? I pulled out my estate planning speech that I've given about six times before to different groups where I go through a senerio about Rosanne and Dan Connors disaster of doing no estate planning. I know that stuff inside and out, so it should be fine. I'm feeling a little guilty about not writing a new speech--I mean the whole idea is for me to grow as a speaker, not just do the same thing over and over. The other speakers of the evening were both brand new. NEITHER ONE USED ANY NOTES. NEITHER ONE EVEN STOOD BEHIND THE PODIUM. They were both very good. (Frank's speech was about politics in South America--how is it that I never knew that Venezuala is a communist country. I live in a cave. Why are we buying so much oil from a hostile communist country. Why are they selling it to us--I bet they don't much longer, not with China's need increasing exponentially, but I digress.) The bar was raised. So I gave the speech without notes (I can't be shown up by newbees). It went fine, except it was supposed to be funny and not a single person even smiled. Not one. I got a few nodded heads and nobody's eyes glazed over, but not a single smile. I was so disappointed. Am I the only person who watched the "Rosanne" sitcom? Guess who won best speech of the night? I love Toastmasters.

I was careful not to sign up to do another speech for the next two months, because my class is starting up again and I know I do not have time. In the last few minutes of the meeting they were trying to get speakers for an upcoming contest. My win of best speech of the night made me giddy and I signed up. I looked at the calender and guess what my speech that should be a motivational speech to inspire people to do something coincides with? It's girl scout cookie time! I will own that contest.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home