Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

And the Winner is...

A few weeks ago, the president of our Toastmasters club was trying to get me to commit to going to the installation the following week (the day of cookie training) to no avail. Last night I had to make it to Toastmasters to get witnesses for Mock court for my high school class (we don't have enough students, so I've recruited some of the folks at toastmaster to be our witnesses). I was not surprised to have won an award (the President had been a little obvious a few weeks ago), but I was surprised at the award. I've given six speeches at the club in the last six months and I won Best Speaker. That's like the highest award and it's based on who won that award most during the last six months. Which means that out of my six speeches, I won best speaker more times than anyone else in the club. I have won Best Speaker in individual meetings at least three times that I remember, but there are about forty people in the club. Three times was enough to win the overall award? Hot damn.

The real fun part was that the topic of the evening was the Bill of Rights and I had just been teaching my high school class about the right to privacy, discussing the 9th and 14th amendments. No one at Toastmasters appeared to have any idea what the 9th amendment was and they were a little misguided about the 14th, so I was able to eloquently add to the topic and won the best Table Topic award of the evening. Toastmasters is too much fun.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home