Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, January 05, 2006

AOL doesn't like me

Every once in a while, when I sent out a mass e-mail for girl scouts or ABWA, I get a few back that say undeliverable and I figure a few people have changed their e-mail since I made my list. I have one person whom I can never, never send e-mail to--it just won't go through, even when I hit reply. I can live with one person that I can't reach by e-mail--I've lived most of my life without e-mail.

However, last week I could not send e-mail to a client. I tried calling and got an endless ring and I literally couldn't reach him instantly which is absolutely what he expected me to do. That was scary. Since then I started to notice that any time I sent e-mail to someone on aol, it was rejected and not sent, so after several rejections, I actually read the error message. It told me to go to a postmaster webcite, which I did. It required an IP number. I have no clue what an IP number is. I tried by e-mail address. I tried my password for my computer. I even tried my password for my bank (I know that was a long shot--but they are all on the computer). I got back a message that stated in very convoluted language that the number would look different--lots of numbers and dots. So I asked my office manager. She gave me a number that had letters in it and I told her, I don't think so. It did not work. Then we found the book from when we had originally set up DSL in the office. Sure enough, there was a series of e-mails printed out and one of them referenced our "IP numbers". Yes, plural. So I put in the first one and aol kicked back a message "success" you are reverse something. It's not fixed, they just agree that I can't send to aol. Well actually reading the first screen (rather than pushing all the links without reading it, like I did the first time), revealed that someone has reported me as a spammer and therefore, aol will not deliver any of my e-mail.

When success didn't really mean success, I threw my hands up and we're calling an expert. We've left a message and they'll call me back. Meanwhile, after 16 rings, my client's machine picked up and I left him a message a day late--then I actually ran into him in the mall--is that spooky, or what. My next client that I couldn't reach, I ended up leaving a message with someone at her home. I sure hope she gets it. Who knew e-mail would become so necessary.

1 Comments:

  • At January 6, 2006 at 7:06 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Wow, all it takes is one person reporting you as a spammer? That is terrible. Although one of the messages that you got could have said "Are you a spammer" and you might have clicked yes without looking. If you have a DSL connection and only use AOL for email I would suggest creating a fast g-mail account (I will send you an invitation) so that you can send email with just a connection and a browser (no AOL required).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home