Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, November 14, 2005

Long Weekend at the Resort

My ABWA conference was at the Gaylord Resort in Grapevine Texas (right outside of Dallas). What a beautiful resort and great conference we had. Those of us from Southern California were there to advertise our upcoming conference in 2006 at Anahiem California (disneyland). We all wore purple suits and did a dance on the last evening. Two whole people (out of about 1,000) came up and told us we did a good job.

It was soooo hot in Texas and now it is going to be so hot in California--what is going on with the weather. I was freezing in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago. The resort was climate controlled (it was all indoors, like Sam's Town in Vegas), so I wore my coat in the hotel (I'm always cold). When it got too cold, I went outside where it was quite toasty. The last day was very pleasant. Diane's daughter lives in Dallas, so she drove us to the airport after we stopped for breakfast. It was so nice, I wanted to move there. She allowed that the weather was unusual, but still.

On Thursday we has Scott McClellan's (Bush's press secretary) mom as our speaker. She's the Texas comptroller and a republican. She said that she was a single mom raising four sons who got mad and went to a school board meeting. Pretty soon, she was elected to the school board and later she became the first woman mayor of Austin. She's running for Govenor of Texas next year. Again, I wanted to move there to vote for her (I mean you have to be republican if you live in Texas--that's some kind of law I think).

It was so nice to be at a resort, I treated it like a real vacation. I read two dumb books and I bought a logic book on numbers called Suduko or Soduko or Sodoku or something like that. It is blocks of 9 and lists of 9. It is really engrossing because there is only one right answer. I'm a wiz at the easy ones, and I've done about five medium difficulty ones, but I'm stumped on a medium right now. It's haunting me--I must figure it out. I was giving my class logic problems, but I think I let them stick with the word puzzles so we can pretend that it's reading comprehension. Not a lot of academic skills involved in counting to 9.

5 Comments:

  • At November 15, 2005 at 1:51 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Don't move to Texas you won't like being a republican (you're right it is required). We need you on our side so that we can say "mission accomplished in a few more years." I am glad you had a good time and got to read dumb books, that is relaxing.

     
  • At November 15, 2005 at 2:00 PM, Blogger paulette said…

    I recently came across my first Sodoku puzzle. Since I hate the new TV Guide so much I had bought a sunday newspaper and they had one of those puzzles on the same page as the Friday listings so I started playing with it. Whenever there was a number I knew for sure, I put it in with a green pen. I never finished the puzzle but I had about 15 green numbers. When I say the answer the next week, only 3 of my numbers were right. I still have never finished one.

     
  • At November 16, 2005 at 9:09 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    I got the medium one that was giving me so much trouble wrong, but then I did two more easy and one more medium so I'm feeling better about my logical skills again. That or luck of finding a puzzle that works easier.

     
  • At November 17, 2005 at 5:17 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Wow, you guys are so hip. I just heard about these puzzles on the radio this morning as being "all the rage." I was so glad that I already knew what they were thanks to my hip family. Not that I am going to run out a get one, I am happy being hip by association.

    Kat, the other problem with moving to Texas, besides having to become a republican is that they require gun ownership. You are issued one at the border.

     
  • At November 17, 2005 at 10:08 AM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    The wonderful new tv guide has Soduko in it, but with letters instead of numbers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home