Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The words for the day

I am the grammarian for our Toastmasters tonight and the theme for the evening is "Explorers." I have to put forth two words with definitions that the group will attempt to use in the course of the meeting during table topics and their speeches. I'm kind of a show off and so I want some really spectacular words. Explorers brings to mind "adventure" so that will be one of the words, but for the second word I wanted to be really adventurous. Steven Cobert had his first show last night after the Daily Show. I could only stay awake for the first ten minutes, but he made up a new word "truthiness." We're not going to let Webster tell us what to do, says he. It means that you "feel" something is true. You know in your head that it's not, but you feel in your gut that it is. And he gave an example: There are move nerve endings in your gut, then there are in your head. Sure, some people will look that up in a book and say it's not true, but it feels true--it has truthiness.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home