Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, October 07, 2005

How can it be Friday again?

It was Friday yesterday. Man, time is speeding so fast these days. Nothing it getting done--time just goes on by anyway. I had to hand out progress reports for my students yesterday. That was really hard. They only give you standard remarks to make about the students that don't begin to tell the real story. Unfortunately attendance is still a problem--I can't give them all A's if they don't show up.

I had my students do an art project last night for my level one class. I have to turn in a sample of work from five diciplines that I do in my class, but coming up with an art assignment was a challenge. I read a testimony from a deposition describing a car accident and I had them draw a diagram of the accident from my description. Most of them got it ok, but some were completely clueless. Which was the lesson: that sometimes you need a diagram and pictures to tell the full story to the Judge and Jury.

I also went to my first Teacher In Service. What a collosal waste of time. They spent about three hours teaching us how to input the attendance. My tech had already shown me in a few minutes how to do it and I'd been inputing it for weeks already. Sure, I still ask her again everytime I do it, but it only takes her five seconds to say yes that's right. Then we met our advisors. Then we met our boss's, boss. Three hours of travel time and seven hours of class, that's the equivelant of $2,250 lost income for me. Ouch. Three more to go.

3 Comments:

  • At October 8, 2005 at 1:13 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Wow you are sounding like a real teacher, complaining about the in-service.

     
  • At October 8, 2005 at 1:26 PM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Sorry, it's not real money, just it's fourth cousin, potential income.

     
  • At October 8, 2005 at 1:38 PM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Yes a real live teacher--After being completely turned off by "lesson plans" I now have to prepare my own for the level one class. Might as well do the real thing and save some time.

    Another project is that I have to list the computer equipment and software I'd like for my class if I had $60,000. I said out loud in class that I'd turn that job over to my office manager and the instructor, horror stricken said no, you have to do it yourself. Squander more of societies' resouces it is.

    The instructor was an hour late to class, so the fellow behind me started asking about the law and estate planning, so I told him all about it and he proceeded to rip attorneys because poor people couldn't afford to do estate planning and they were going to go broke having to hire an attorney when they died. That was a very long hour.

    Next week is an all day seminar for teachers. We have to be there by 6:30 a.m. if we hope to get a parking place. I guess if it were too much fun, everyone would want to do it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home