Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Go ask that other person OR Teaching, smeaching

Well there are three kids in my class, but seven signed up and they expect 30. Of course there are only 20 chairs in the classroom, so I'm thinking 30 is pretty ambitious. Two and 1/2 hours with no breaks is a very long time to bore three kids silly. Finally I made them stand up so that they would stop nodding off.

I figured I needed an overhead projector, so I asked my tech. and she said ask the district for a computer with power point. It turns out that there is an overhead projector in the class, but no chalk board. I don't have any transparencies, so I asked Susan (my contact at the district) for transparencies. After two days (today), she told me to ask my tech. I asked both Susan and my tech about modules that are referred to in the outline. Neither has any clue. I was told to ask the Business ROP coordinator. Finally I said that I would make my own transparencies and at first Susan said, we have them already made, then she said I have blank sheets and you can copy them from the computer and then today she said, ask your tech, she's supposed to do that for you. My tech said if I have any copying, to give it to her and I'll get it by the next class. Now I find out that I have a three hundred dollar budget for supplies. Ay, yi, yi.

First the kids said they were in the class because they wanted to go to law school. After I said enough times that I was there to teach them to get a job in a law office, they gravitated toward what I apparently wanted to hear. I'm going to have to do a nonconformity exercise or two. I have 2 and 1/2 hours to fill, so we have plenty of time.

I was told that I can have movies in the class and I was planning all these great movies about the Law: Gideons Trumpet, Twelve Angry Men, Inherit the Wind. After they started falling asleep I gained a new respect and appreciation for My Cousin Vinny, The Firm and Runaway Jury.

This is a great learning experience (not a great experience, great learning--I am learning so much about what I always knew in the back of my mind). I remember the crossroads--law or teaching and I so took the right path. Thank you to the teacher who told me "if you like control, you'll hate teaching." At this stage, I think that I can figure out how to keep control and still accomplish my goal of actually teaching.

My level 1 class is really good. I'm really enjoying it. It's almost a week later and I can still remember everyone's name (we played a name game that really worked). And the instructor gave me the secret right in the first class--the best thing I can do for my students is to give them a fun atmosphere in which to learn and grow--if they don't have fun, they're not going to learn. How true is that. I always learned more when I liked the teacher and they were enthusiastic about the subject. Well I love law, so that's covered. I'm not sure how much I love filing out work applications and finding a job, but I can work on it.

There's only three students--this class is getting cancelled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home