Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, October 21, 2005

We're going back to gold stars

The first test that I gave my class, only 5 students out of 11 showed up. Three turned in the test late for 1/2 credit and three are still missing in action. For my second test only 4 students showed up. I called all the students that I had good phone numbers for and one said he totally forgot we had class and he came late. Two had excuses and two are missing in action. Two I don't have good numbers for. This is very sad. I'm going to make a big board and put gold stars next to the student's names when they come to class and turn in assignments and take tests. It's very depressing to spend three hours of my own time cominig up with a test that is challenging, but not too hard and then have so few kids there to take it.

I ordered a game called Debate This and we have been playing it in class. The kids form teams and rotate against each other. Declaring a winner of each round is very difficult, but we're making headway. With five students, one student and I acted as the Judge for each round and that critique was almost as important as the debate. It is a very good tool.

I went to visit another high school's civil law class. They were having a moot court for my benefit. I got some good ideas for our moot court and how to limit the facts. The more I learn, the more work I make for myself.

I leave for Memphis on Monday--everyone tells me I have to go to Graceland. I've never had any interest, but it does seem like a shame to be in Memphis and not to go. We'll see.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home