Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Billy Joel is my guide

When I was in law school, it was downtown Los Angeles. The streets are nuts downtown with some going under tunnels with no entrance to the freeway and about six freeways intersecting all at the same place going in illogical directions. If there was construction or if I had to go to a seminar away from campus, I was really at a loss as to which freeway to get on. Finally, I figured out that Figeroa was one way to a freeway entrance I liked. From then on, I could always get myself onto Figeroa and onto a freeway I knew. Of course the first time I didn't know which way to go on the freeway. I lived in West LA at the time and my choices were north and south. I got so incredibly and miserably lost going north, that it was ingrained in my mind thereafter to go south. It became rote.

Fast forward to after I am a practicing attorney in Glendale (far, far away from West LA). Little by little that first year, I learned how to get to all the courts downtown and how to get on the right freeways to get back. But alas, once I was at a bankruptcy hearing that took place deeper downtown. I found myself on Figeroa and rejoiced. I followed my nose, but alas soon I was going toward West LA and not Glendale. How did that happen I asked myself. I know that Pasadena and Glendale are east, but of course my choices were north and south. So in the words of Billy Joel, I repeated over and over, "Don't go south." Such directional messaging has served me well.

A few weeks ago, I was in the Federal Court house downtown. The address of the courthouse is on Spring Street, but that is a one way street going away from the direction I am coming from. So I always enter the court on the other street to the rear of the building. If I had a lot of time and a map, I would of course know that it is Main street, but in my usual rush to court and rush out again, I find myself staring at the elevator buttons. My choices are S and M. Which floor did I come in on??? A few weeks ago (after looking like a fool the week before going back and forth between floors, because nothing looked right), it came to me "Down on Main Street, down on Main Street." I should have known Billy Joel would steer me in the right direction.

6 Comments:

  • At January 31, 2006 at 1:33 PM, Blogger paulette said…

    Songs are a wonderful guide. Many years ago Erika and I were in New York wanting to get to Battery Park and I said we need to go down. She thought I was very smart but I was refrencing the song "New York, New York" from that old movie "On The Town" where Frank sings "The Bronx is up and the Battery's down. New York, New York, what a wonderful town."

     
  • At January 31, 2006 at 6:04 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    I thought of the same thing.

     
  • At February 2, 2006 at 6:52 AM, Blogger Tim B. said…

    "Down on Main Street" ?? What Billy Joel song is that?

    I think there's a song by Bob Seeger with that title or lyric, though.

    I'm enjoying reading your blog. I too am confused by S and M. ;)

    Regards,
    Tim B.

     
  • At February 2, 2006 at 10:52 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    It could very well be Bob Seeger--poetic license maybe? S is for Spring Street and M is for Main Street, the names of the two streets on either side of the court. The buttons on the elevator for those two floors are not numbers, they are S and M. I'll never get back those eight seconds of staring blindly at the panel and not having the vaguest clue of how to get to the 1st floor. There is no first floor. There's a second floor and S and M, but at least now the voice in my head sings, "Down on Main Street.."

     
  • At February 2, 2006 at 12:24 PM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    Definatey Bob Seeger

     
  • At February 3, 2006 at 8:03 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    There is an elevator on one of the boats in Gary that gives all of the names of the floors: Ambassador Level, Captain Level, etc. But the outside says Level 1, Level 2, etc. So you have no idea where you are starting or where you want to go.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home