Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Whew

I was looking at the wrong fast food restaurant--it was the Great Potato Company that had the 1,125 calorie small fry. My Steak Escape is only 535--what a relief. (not so much actually).

Last night I won an award at my first official meeting as a member of Toastmasters. Of course they probably do that for new members--give them encouragement right off the bat, but it was still kind of cool. There is a section called Table Topics, where the Table Topic Master askes each person a question about the topic of the day. The topic was Mother and my question was to describe my favorite memory of my Mother and I. We had two minutes, so I embellished the memory with a few backstories and it came off rather well, but when I sat down I realized that I hadn't said either of the words of the day that we are supposed to work into our speeches. Oh well I thought, it's my first time. So I was pleasantly surprized to win the prize for best table topic. Must be my heartwarming Mom.

[Erika is saying, what was the memory? My first cruise, how Mom loves them and me not so much and entering the talent contest and practicing for three days with Mom doing great harmony and then performing in front of seven people on a ship of over a 1,000 and winning best Mother Daughter act. That was fun.]

I also went to Adam's baseball game yesterday. He is getting so big, but there's still a bunch of kids who are giants compared to him. They have a very good JV team and I got to see Adam play 2nd base (and make a very pretty zig zag play that caught the runner and got an out and covered 1st in a rather exciting play also), pitch and retire the batters one, two and three (though not by strike outs) and play right field (but I don't remember the ball going that way). I only saw him bat once, and he got on base, but he was out at second in the next play. His team won six or seven to three. There was a Dad filling out stat forms in the stands and I thought that's what I need to do, cause when Adam wasn't up it was hard for me to care. One of his friends from second grade is on the team so that was incredibly weird to have an image of a little seven year old and apply it to this giant kid.

I also (I had a very busy day yesterday) interviewed about the teaching job. It was more of me interviewing them to see if I wanted the job (a very nice position to be in). They have really cool ideas for the class and I offered a few more that were well received. This can be a lot of fun. Mike said that the teacher now is not very good and that kids see it as an easy way to get units, so that the first class I get might have discipline problems in it. But I said, I have my girl scout leader voice and I'll keep them too busy to have problems. Famous last words, but I'm not scared.

TTFN

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home