Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

No title

I sit here for five minutes staring blankly at the title line trying to come up with the perfect title to go along with the happenings of the day, but I don't have time for writer's block, so today's blog is untitled. Or we can have a contest--name the boring blog of the day contest.

Yesterday I met with the teacher of the class at CV, that I will be teaching in the Fall at Hoover. She shared her outline, grading schedule, field trip plans, extra credit ideas and basically scared the umph out of me for two hours with all the stuff she does for her class which by the way she made up from scratch and basically I can do whatever I want to. OMG Two 2 1/2 hour classes per week to fill. And then on CNN this morning I saw an opinion poll from Pennsylvania that said 60% of the people questioned, thought creationism should be taught in school. The fact that one person thinks it is scary. I mean really--I went to Catholic School, I never heard of creationism. The bible was taught as stories from the bible in religion class. It shocked me as a child that some people believed that seven day stuff literally. 60% OMG

Toastmasters was fun last night--I heard two great speeches and one not so good. The not so good one was by a speaker that I was hoping to invite to ABWA, but now, I'm a little apprehensive. We talk about programs for ABWA and I think about all the stuff that I could present and then we talk about the newsletter and I think of all the great articles that I could write and then we talk about reviewing the standing rules and I've got lots of ideas for that too. We'll just rename the chapter to Kathy. Our past president is giving me lots of advice (and telling me not to submit anything to the newsletter and to leave programs to someone else and generally trying to make me stop going down the Kathy Chapter road). It's like a race horse wearing a bit. LITFL

3 Comments:

  • At August 3, 2005 at 12:12 PM, Blogger paulette said…

    I guess I'm just lucky. I have never had a problem with the co-existence of pre-destination and free will, so I don't see a lot of harm in teaching creationism. Not the kind of harm I see in, say, Rush Linbaugh.

     
  • At August 4, 2005 at 4:58 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    The harm of teaching creationism is to science. The people that want creationism taught want the schools to stop teaching evolution. They aren't looking to have creationism taught in a comparative religion course they want it taught in "science" courses.

    Kathy is right 60% scares the crap out of me and makes me think Jackson will have to go to Catholic school.

     
  • At August 4, 2005 at 11:26 AM, Blogger Gretchen said…

    I just read an excellent editorial on this that talked about the damage that teaching creationalism as science does to religion. The first couple of sentances were "of course it damages science" but the main point of the article was how religion is faith, and faith is a wonderful thing to have and to foster. If we then try to turn faith into fact, we lose the beauty of trusting what we cannot see.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home