Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, December 10, 2004

When You are Old

You know how when you are old and ultra responsible, you push yourself to go to work, even if you are sick and you pretend that you are a better person for getting out of bed and subjecting all the people around you to your germs, because the work just wouldn't get done if you didn't do it. And you know how when you are all fuzzy in the head, your work suffers and you have to do the same thing over and over to get it right. Yeah.

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. (an ungodly hour to anyone other than Erika) feeling as good as new--ready to face the world. I decided to go to the gym at 6 and actually was ready too early and had to force myself to sit in a chair to wait for 5:55 to leave. As I walked to the gym (in the dark) I thought, gee I hope I'm not pushing it, with me so close to just getting over my cold. But on I pressed. The gym was surprisingly full for 6:00 a.m. on a Friday, but I took my place and worked my tush off. Ok, I sluffed a bit here and there, I mean I am just getting over a cold. I brought kleenex and a cough drop just in case, but didn't need them.

I got home, showered, dressed for court, got Adam up, had breakfast--plenty of time for everything. Mel croacked that she couldn't go to work today still being pretty sick. Off I went to court with kleenex and a cough drop, but I didn't need them. My coat felt too heavy and it was warm when I left court so I abandoned my coat to the back seat. I made a quick stop at the post office and was cheerily standing in line when it happened. Uncontrollable, nonstop coughing like I was dying and about the throw up all over those nice people standing in line--spewing them with all of my germs--and no kleenex and no cough drop (because they were in my coat pocket). Now I'm sick as a dog. So I go home (get mad because the dog was in my sitting room) and I am fine. So I got a diet coke (I called to Mel to see if she needed anything, but she didn't answer, she just coughed) and I went to work (armed with cough drops and kleenex) because that's the responsible old kind of person I am. Fuzzy attorney for hire--please wear mask for your own protection.


1 Comments:

  • At December 10, 2004 at 5:44 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    I understand this completely. I too am at a stage where I occassionally cough uncontrollably; freaking everyone in the vicinity out and make them think I am dying. Then I am fine for the next four hours until it happens again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home