Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, June 21, 2010

Wake Up Tennis

Wimbledon is 8 hours ahead of us, so noon starts at 4 a.m. here. When my alarm goes off at 6:30, my normal practice is to turn over and hit snooze several times before actually waking up for real. Not this morning. This morning, my first waking thought was TURN ON TENNIS. It's the first day. It is just the opening round. Nothing exciting ever happens on the opening day, I tell myself not really wanting to open my eyes. But my love of watching tennis not only propells me over to the remote (within arms reach), but it also pries my eyes open against their better judgment.

Now I'm wide awake--Fed is down two sets to none and they are on serve in the third, but Falla is taking him to deuce in his service games. Oh my, oh my. I find myself rooting for Federer. He is so skinny. They show a clip of the Fish match. Marty Fish has always been a bit chunky and a bit sloppy--lots of power and great game, but sloppy. No more, he's not. He has slimmed down a lot. I get up and go to the gym.

I know the technology is coming, but I'd really like to be able to watch the match on my cell phone. I have the up to the minute scores, but the wimbledon site didn't show the scores on a point by point basis--ugh. Now I've found the espn site that does, but still--I'd rather see them play. I have it all taping while I am at work, but I don't think I'll have time to watch the whole nine hours of coverage each night. I'm missing it already and its only the first day.

Lots of upsets in my little draw picks, but no major upsets of the big dogs. I need to be a little less sentimental in my picks--just because I've seen them play doesn't mean that they are going to win against someone I haven't seen. Although I really thought Cilic was going places. He's very intense and very tall--he made it to the semi-finals of the Australian. Out in the first round. Oh well. At least Roddick won't have to go through him. And Schiavone--one hit wonder--out in the first round, although she did take it to three sets. Is it mean to think that she might not even try at the US Open? The French is that odd major that the bigs don't always win, but the odd ones who do rarely go on to excel on other surfaces EXCEPT for my absolute hero Nadal. The French was his ticket into the majors. Oh darn--I have to go to work now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home