Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Name

So a lot of other blogs have names. I was thinking the other day, why doesn't my blog have a name and then I thought, what would I name it? After a while without coming up with anything cute, I forgot about it and then out of the blue, it came to me this morning: Procrastination.

I went away for the weekend last weekend and I brought my laptop, because I intended to write a few blogs. I have lots of ideas for blogs that I want to write. I compose blogs in the car, in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening--all the time, but I never have time to write all the ones in my head, so I thought--great, a nice quiet weekend with nothing to do--I'll write out a few of those blogs and become the famous writer that I am in my head. But I didn't. I didn't have anything to do, so I did nothing (and loved every minute of doing nothing, but I digress).

So why couldn't I write the blogs in my head? Then I realized that the only time that I write blogs is about 10 or 10:30 at the office. I've been at my desk for a little bit. I usually already have my glass of ice and diet coke. There's a pile of work on my desk to be done. The phone is quiet (the quiet before the storm). There is plenty of time to get the mail out (must be in the box by 5 p.m.). I'm not in court or out at a meeting, so it is just all the stuff on my desk to be addressed. Taking fifteen minutes or so to write the blog will not ruin my day or put me behind in my work. Work. There is a ton of it on my desk. Every six or seven years, I work my way to near the bottom of my list of things to do. Twice in my 20 years here I have only had one more thing on my list to do and then it would be completely blank. Luckily that's never happened, but I fantasize about it anyway. I mean it would be awful if I ran out of work, but to finish all this ****, I mean work, on my list would be very satisfying as well.

I have this fantasy that I write profound things, but as much as I love reading my past work, the fact is, it is just OK--mildly amusing (so I've been told--thanks commentators), but mostly forgettable.

So why do I do it? It so obvious, of course, procrastination. The bane of my existence. I can never get to the bottom of my list because I am terrified of having nothing to do, even though having nothing to do is completely wonderful. Procrastination doesn't really make any sense. I mean putting things off and off should either mean that you don't want to do them or you don't want them to be over. The fact is the things I don't want to do, I would love for them to be over and the things that I don't want to be over are the things I love to do! So Procrastination is really stupid.

Do you know that it is still not friday! Friday is almost never the day of the week, that it is--only one in seven. Those are terrible odds. And there were chocolate chip cookies at Kiwanis yesterday that looked just like the cookies at Portos. But they were not Portos cookies--big waste of calories. AND Adam went to Portos this morning, but he didn't get any cookies for me. The universe is just messing with me. Is it any wonder I can't get my work done.

8 Comments:

  • At June 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    When I think of all that you have accomplished in your professional legal career and all the volunteer work you have donated to your community PROCRASTINATION is the last word that comes to mind. Have you considered WORKAHOLIC or CHAMPION OF THE UNDERDOG.

     
  • At June 10, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like procrastination. How about 'INSTANT PROCRASTINATION'

     
  • At June 10, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another thought would be DIGRESSIONS

     
  • At June 11, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Yes but naming my blog digressions is like giving that a green light. Whereas a name like procrastination will call a spade a spade.

    But it is achedemic since I can't figure out how to add a name. I followed the help to a brick wall.

    BTW, thanks Uncle John--I was going to say--I don't volunteer in the community any more and then I did a little inventory for the year. I do still volunteer, but not nearly as much. Workaholic--that's a good one. Yes I am diligent, but I likes my down time too much to be confused with a workaholic.

     
  • At June 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You could figure out the name thing if you would just stop procrastinating.

     
  • At June 11, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    To change your title:
    Go to your own blog and "sign in" then you should be in your "dashboard". Select "settings" then change your "title" then click on "save settings" at the bottom.

     
  • At June 11, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    Kathy, I think you are a great writer. While I can't remember everything you've ever written, there are several posts that I can remember well. If this is what you churn out when procrastinating, you're doing pretty well!

     
  • At June 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    You used my title in your previous blog.

    I vote for John's title: Workaholic. To my mind, it means always looking to make the most of your time. Even when you are relaxing your mind is working to achieve.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home