Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, May 28, 2010

The Clay, the Rain, the Dark

Oh my, oh my the drama of the French Open. I am struck by how empty the stands are--I want to go (well not actually, because I like my tennis from my sitting room the best, but figuratively, I can't understand that out of the billions of people in the world, there are not more people in the stands.)

So there was no coverage on Wednesday on my Tivo. That was very sad, but there is a web cite that gives you a kind of blow by blow what's happening. So I started at the bottem, early in the day and there were a few upsets, but nothing dramatic. Taylor Dent didn't score a single point in a whole set--I think that's what the commentor was saying--that is really bad. Then the Roddick match was stopped for darkness and then another match (I think it was Ljubicic and Fish) was stopped for darkness and then the Monfils and Fognini was NOT stopped for darkness--it was later and later and the players couldn't see the ball and Monfils saved two match points because Fognini couldn't see the ball and just hit them out. OMG just in the comments it was such a dramatic end to the night. The game was finally stopped 5 - 5 in the fifth set!

So on Thursday, there was coverage on my Tivo. They started by replaying the end of the Monfils/Fognini match from the previous day, so I did get to see the excitement. I got to see Roddick get back on tract and take care of business, but I fast forwarded Ljubicic and Fish--for some reason I cannot stand Ljubicic's bald head. It looks like it is out of a monster movie. I guess that is how some people feel about Venus's lacy bare look, but there it is.

Safina is out early--heartbreak. I really thought clay was good for her power game, but she never recovered from being the number one woman player last year--she's been going down hill ever since. Same with Ivonivic--she's out early. She also never recovered from being number one for a little while. Meanwhile Henin is out of retirement and playing with a vengence. The Williams sisters are still as tough as ever (and now I've looked a little more closely at Venus's sexy pajamas--she does look a little more sexy and a little less angular--I guess it kind of softens her look--I like it and I really like how well she is playing.)

I saw a little Fed against Falla--I'm kind of hoping someone takes him out early. I want to see Murray (another player I love to hate) against Nadal in the final. Roddick has to get through Djok, but I don't see it. I think that Djokovic has a much better over all game then Roddick. On the women's side, I see a Sister's final, but I'm glad that Serena has to face off against Henin (or Sharapova--that will be another fun match) and not Venus.

P.S. They play in the rain in Paris. The ref asked the players if they want to keep going and they just keep playing in the rain. I can't decide if I'm for it or against it. I guess that I really like that they mostly let the players decide (except for playing in the dark that they did to Monfils and Fognini--that was awful).

3 Comments:

  • At May 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sharapova rocks

     
  • At May 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Henin Cheats: Did you see the way she was playing. She was deliberately hitting the ball to make it hard for Maria to return. If Maria was on the right, Henin hit it to the left. If Maria was on the left, she hit it to the right. When Maria returning it, and sent what should have been a winner, a shot that Maria had no intention of having returned, Henin raced over and made the shot. I don’t think Maria has to put up with that type of play. Things will be different when we’re back in the USA for the open.

    za

     
  • At May 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Marty, that got me laughing.

    When rain falls on a hard court it becomes very slippery and it is dangerous to play. When rain falls on a clay court footing is not usually affected. The ball however becomes heavier with the water and the clay that sticks to it. A new element of skill is introduced and some players cannot change their game. Similar to a horse race, some horses can run well in the mud and some cannot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home