Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, April 30, 2010

Pie Night Or Solving the Unsolvable Problem

My friends from Toastmasters get together once a month for Pie Night at the local Marie Callendars. Now those of you who know me are asking yourself--Self, Kathy likes pie?? Don't be silly. Of course the answer is no, except that sometimes, rarely, once in a great while, I will eat french apple pie. If you put vanilla ice cream on it, which I love, then all the better. When I was on my two year diet, I went to a dinner meeting one night and they served french apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Having starved myself for two years, that dessert increased exponentially as the most wonderful thing on earth, so that when two years later someone said, we should meet once a month for pie at Marie Callendars, I immediately became the most enthusiastic participant. I might have even been the one to suggest it in the first place--that is how exponential, exponential is. Now that is not to say that I was totally unaware of the fact that I don't really like pie, but I reasoned that if it was only once a month--how bad could it be? We have been meeting now for about 16 months and I must say--I am pretty sick and tired of pie.

So yesterday (pie night) I spied a chocolate chip cookie. I ordered that large chocolate chip cookie and an order of vanilla ice cream (probably inspired by the chocolate chip cookie with ice cream that I saw at BJ's and turned down earlier in the day, since it was pie night and even though I'm not officially on a diet--I'm not totally without a monocure of control, but I digress).
The cookie, being large, was too big to eat and I left most of it on the plate. My pie mates were impressed with my will power; oh contrair mon frere I thought. I have no will power, I'm just done and the rest of the cookie was unappealing. Youreka (that's from a book "You on a Diet"--a play on the work eureka--get it--yes, very cheesy)! If I can find a way to make high caloric and bad processed food seem unappealing to me and make good for me foods like fruits and vegetibles seem appealing, I would be well on the road to healthy eating.



Sorry, I had to stop laughing from what I just wrote. Ok, I'm better now. Today is Friday as everyone knows and Friday is goodies day at the office, so I was humming coming up in the elevator--a little tiny Christmas morning every Friday--how cool is that. But alas, like all holidays, they never quite match up to your expectations. No chocolate chip cookies--no, there was a gorgeous krispy kreme donut on my desk. So great was my disappointment that there was no chocolate chip cookie, that I heard myself saying "I don't like donuts" and I put the donut back in the box. The true fact is that I like krispy kreme donuts. I like them a really really lot. But I don't want a donut. Donuts are the worst food on the planet--sugar and frying oil (just like those mcdonalds french fries--or is it freedom fries--I heard this thing, everyone is so mad at Iceland for the volcanic ashe that closed down all the airports, that they are calling Ice Cream, Freedom Cream, but I digress).

So I have no interest in that donut. Really, none. I am not protesting too much--honestly, I don't want that donut. For some odd reason, I am craving m&ms--makes no sense, because I have been eating them like crazy in the past week and they just don't taste very good, so my brain is very opposed to this craving. Where was I?

Oh yes, pie night. We really have a great time. We all have great stories and we talk over each other to vie to tell the best story. Leon is the elder statesman, an attorney with great seasoned stories and amazing insight. Pete is the friendliest (but of course, Leon you are very friendly too) and tells puns and jokes left and right. I've never met anyone so skilled at making people laugh. We really have a lot of fun at toastmasters and I am trying to remember if it was that much fun before Pete joined--I'm thinking, no. Anderson is the youngest. He's still in college and he always has very interesting perspectives. I think that Leon and I compete to talk the most--a little running battle of the attorneys in love with the sounds of their voices. Hey, maybe that's why I left most of the cookie--I was too busy talking. Youreka! I think we have a winning strategy now. (And by taking all this time to write this blog--I have not yet eaten that milky way that I allowed myself to buy to try to break my m&m addiction--ha).

Do you remember that show "West Wing"? There is a scene where Leo is depressed that there are no new solutions to the middle east crisis and no end in sight. At the end of the episode, the Rob Lowe character takes him aside and says, "you know that I'm not done trying to come up with a solution, right?" It gives you such hope to know that you are not done trying. Ah skinny jeans, I'm not done trying.

P.S. Your job, should you choose to accept it is to ask me about my cross stitching project. I cannot eat and cross stitch. (I can eat while I play the piano--very sad to learn that, I was.) I have a massive cross stitch project that I started when Jackson was a baby. I kind of stopped when I couldn't see anymore, but I have new glasses, so no more excuses. Size 8 or bust--wait that sounds funny--you know what I mean.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home