Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dogs, Oh My

Sally got a new dog. She and her husband, Jim have lived in their apartment for 30 years and they are not allowed to have pets, but Jim talked to the manager and pointed out that after 30 years maybe an exception could be made. Jim had a stress related illness and then incredible trouble with his employer for wrongful termination. He has been in litigation and out of work for years. It's been an awful ordeal for both of them and the stress has been overwhelming. I understand that the trial is over or very close to being over. I haven't heard any congratulations, so I don't think they won or maybe its still not over. Anyway, Jim walks into the office yesterday calmer than I have seen him in years with the most adorable young dog I've ever seen. Belle. She is a beauty too. Sally said that the first night they had the dog was the first night that her husband slept all through the night in years.

Spoiler alert--I do not like dogs or cats or any animals. I did not pet Belle (and don't think that Jim didn't notice--he obviously loves that dog and I could see on his face that he didn't understand that I wasn't kissing the dog at his apparent invitation, but I digress). I have a dog. HER name is Link (as in Link to my heart--her full name--Marisa named her when she was 13 or so). Even though the dog is a girl, I think of him as a boy--a messy, dirty, stinky, hairy, annoying, barking boy. I do not like my dog (but to be fair--I don't like ANY dogs). I do not kiss the dog or anyone else that kisses the dog (you would be amazed at how often the babies will kiss the dog--once was disgusting enough). My dog is very old--probably 13 years old. When ever he walks really carefully, like he is in pain, I give him extra food, make sure he has his medicine and pay attention that he has a nice warm bed and I think, yay, he's almost dead. The darn dog always rallys. I think that in this weird dance, he's staying alive because he thinks, maybe, maybe he'll get me to love him. Yuck. Sounds a little "1984".

But the kids do love that dog. Oh they barely take care of him, but they love him. The reason that I was convinced to get a dog in the first place was because of middle school. I really hated middle school when I was a kid and Marisa had to change schools and leave all her friends for middle school, so that when we moved again I really felt like I had to make it up to the kids--jerking them from one school to another. Every one said that dogs make the best friends--they bring joy, blah, blah, blah. Noisy, messy, smelly, disgusting poop making machines in my opinion, but I digress. So we got a dog. The kids love that dog. They played with him endlessly when they were younger. He was right there at the door whenever they got home to give them unconditional love. Mission accomplished. But now the kids are older. The dog is still a pile of hair and stink. I do not like animals at all.

So meeting Belle yesterday reminded me of how important animals are to humans. I am very happy for Jim and Sally. Thank goodness it is not me. I hate dogs and cats, but I am very sorry Erika. You have to get Jackson a dog. It is the right thing to do. You should do it now so that the darn dog will die just as Jackson is ready to go to college. I'm just saying.

3 Comments:

  • At March 30, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Although, I feel exactly the same as you when it comes to animals--they are perfectly wonderful over there, behind that fence--I have never said we could not get a dog. I have said I will not take care of the dog. The minute it becomes my responsibility to feed it or, heaven forbid, pick up its poop (UGH!) it would go right to the pound. Do not pass go.

    The small male in my house doesn't understand this logic yet. The large one does and hence we do not have a dog.

     
  • At March 30, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Kathy, That last paragraph had me laughing at the set-up for Erika. I just knew that the single response was from Erika. I am glad to see that both of you agree with me, dogs are for others. The work involved is not worth the agraviation. That is why our kids never got a dog, too much trouble.

    I very much enjoy going into the mall to the pet store to see the puppies, they are so darn cute. I do not hold them, just watch. That is as far as it goes. I also like to see a race horse, a pretty girl, a beautiful car, a sleek airplane, none of which I desire to take home.

     
  • At March 30, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Titan is not available.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home