Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, January 29, 2010

Down Go the Chinese

As expected, Zheng was no match for Henin. I think she only won a single game. Li however was a much bigger threat to Serena. Both sets came down to tie breakers. That does not give me a lot of confidence that Serena is going to kick me some Henin. I do not like Henin. Serena is not my favorite player either, but I like her a lot better than Henin.

Also, down goes the young Cilic and the dynamic Tsonga. I have only watched part of the Federer/Tsonga match, but it sure was an exciting opening. Federer won in straight sets and I was trying to figure out why I don't cheer for him. He is awfully pretty to watch. He should be my favorite, but.... I don't know. I guess I don't like him because it just looks too easy for him. Oh well. I am trying to like Murray, but so far I can't work up much enthousiasm. I think I will cheer for Federer in the final. He has earned it with spectacular play. We'll see about Murray.

In the doubles, the Williams sisters won, but espn2 didn't show it to me. Maybe that will be an encore match. Very little tennis left. Boo hoo. It is months and months until the French.

5 Comments:

  • At January 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    I watched some of the Federer/Tsonga match and it was amazing how Federer handled him so easily. It was the first time I had seen Tsonga play and he seems to be plying at the high school level. Federer could have won even if he had the sun in his eyes.

     
  • At January 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    The Williams/Hennin match was close for the first two sets. But shortly after the start of the third set Hennin's legs got heavy. She did very well for someone returning after a few years off. Her stamina will return and then watch out. She will be a major force in tennis this year.

    Caveat: long ago I heard "Never trust a thin lipped girl."

     
  • At January 31, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Well you picked him, the winner Federer. I can see why you did not warm up to Murray, he wiry and jerky in his strokes. Federer on the other hand is smooth and strong. It was an interesting match but I would have preffered a moer skilled opponent for Federer.

     
  • At February 1, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Uncle Marcel, you told me the outcome before I had a chance to watch the match, but it was clear from the start that Murray was no match for Fed. He had a great spurt in the third set, but again, he was clearly out matched.

    I was so happy that Serena was able to close it in two sets--when Henin got some momentum in the second set, it really looked dicey for Serena, but she held on.

    And the Bryans won the doubles, but I didn't see any of that match.

    Dad has direct tv now and he said that he had a choice of six screens of different matches and interviews to choose from. I'm going to need to get direct tv for the next tournament.

     
  • At February 3, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    If I had known you had not seen it I would have held off commenting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home