Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Brown Shoes

A friend is manning a Christmas angel tree for the Boys and Girls Club. We got to talking and I indicated interest, so she offered to get an angel for me to buy a present. She promised to get an angel that had an easy present--not an xbox or gameboy games, because those are really expensive. She called and said that the angel for an eight year old boy who wanted a scooter or a puzzle and he wrote down that he wears size 4 shoes. My friend said, get him a puzzle--that's not very expensive.

Me, I now want to buy out the toy store for this young boy, but I have little kids at home who wouldn't mind receiving a toy store's worth of toys, so I must control myself. I went shoping at lunch to target in the mall. That way, I can't buy too much because I would have to carry it the full length of the mall to get back to my office. Not that I haven't tried carrying fifteen bags (including hugh packages of toilet paper and paper towels) in the past (they were on sale...duh).

Anyway, I looked at puzzles first. Personally, I love puzzles, but I don't know what interests this kid has. Does he like super heros or legos or dinosaurs or all three? Luckily there was absolutely no selection to muke up the waters. They had puzzles for five year olds and they had adult puzzles. Then tucked away to one side there were two puzzles with pretty odd pictures that were for 8 and older. They have two sizes of puzzle pieces--easy and harder for the kid who is learning and graduating into adult puzzles. Perfect.

But if I were an eight year old kid and I opened a puzzle for christmas--I don't think that I would be very happy. So I went to look at the scooters. I couldn't find any. That's impossible I thought--this is target--they have everything here. I did find the shoe department however, so I looked at size four shoes. They are very big for an eight year old. Maybe he is big enough for a scooter. I thought about Adam's first scooter. He'd need a helmet. We supervised and I think he was older than eight. This is a decision for Mom and Dad, not a stranger buying a gift for an angel tree. What if the person from the organization takes the present before it gets to the kid. They could probably sell that scooter or give it to their own kid and my eight year old wouldn't be the wiser. There have to be scooters at target and I must look at them.

Finally, I do find the scooters. They have a $20 scooter and I'd need to buy a helmet too, so that's another $12 or so. But if he's a big kid, will he break a $20 scooter. The next one up is $40, but it is a dora scooter. Do kids old enough for a scooter still like dora? Maybe that's why they still have one two weeks before Christmas. Finally, there is a $60 scooter. That one will definitely be stolen from an eight year old. I go back and look at shoes.

Adam could always use new shoes. He didn't want new shoes, but he always needed new shoes for the condition his shoes quickly acquired on his feet. The selection in size four was not great. Good, I will be doing a good thing by getting him shoes in a difficult size to find. I want to get him a nice style--black seems the coolest. Size 2, Size 11, Size 3, Size 5...do they even have size 4 shoes in black? Now I am looking for any Size 4--I found it before. There, but these are brown. They have lots of brown shoes in size 4, but ... brown shoes. That just seems cruel. It's one thing to get shoes for christmas, but brown shoes. I can't do it. I search and search--there in the wrong size box with no top--a pair of black tennis shoes in size four.

Merry Christmas little boy, I really hope that you like the puzzle and the shoes. I'm sorry there's no scooter, but I hope that you and your family enjoy putting together the cool puzzle. That's going to be the real joy of Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home