Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

With Enthusiasm

I am a girl scout through and through and I love to sing. However, as I've gotten older, my singing ability has deteriorated considerably. Even when I do not have a cold (see last blog), singing weakens my throat and I soon get a cold. Needless to say, I am trying to keep my singing to a minimum. But Christmas is tough. I love singing with my Christmas cds. This year (due to all that coughing), I just mouthed the words. It works a little bit, but sometimes I forget and start singing. Since my "cold" seems to be getting a little better, maybe it is ok to sing, but I am leary about a relapse.

Then last night at the Toastmasters Christmas party, Janet brought out song books. My eyes lit up and I knew I was sunk. My singing is rusty at best and I am horrible at picking a good key, but I belted out carol after carol with enthusiasm and I didn't start coughing. Then today was the Jefferson Christmas party and with 33 kids from Jefferson elementary school we belted out carol after carol with enthusiasm and I didn't start coughing. I am almost tempted to sing along with my favorite christmas cd in the car, but I really shouldn't go crazy.

So with the voice going in my advanced years, it occurs to me that voice is not the most important ingredient--it is enthusiasm. That's what I learned in girl scouts all those years. And so I approach Christmas without a dinning room, with half a Christmas tree, having gained too much weigh this year to even consider extra confectionary goodies and with no inspiration, I wonder--what will Christmas bring this year. How to get enthusiastic? And then, from out of the blue, a voice from the past reaches over the facebook network to say "I found you. We'll be in town and going to Disneyland on 12/23. Do you want to come?" I am so there! MEERRRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! I'm going to Disneyland (and that is a nice long drive with my Christmas cd's playing at full blast).

P.S. Happy belated Birthday, Uncle Marcel--80 years young!

1 Comments:

  • At December 17, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    I too have coughs that stick around for months. I haven't had one in a few years, but when I get one I tend to hang on to it forever.

    I remember one year I had a cough at a choir Christmas party. I would cough, cough, cough and assure everyone that I felt fine and then belt out Christmas carols that were clear and perfect. I have no idea how it happened. When I talked I sounded like a pack-a-day smoker, but when I sang it was golden. I was almost sorry when the cough went away.

    Mommy's singing voice deteriorated with age and she was sure it because she did not use it often enough. Keep singing and maybe it will all come back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home