Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Flood and Pestilence

Well maybe not that bad, but bad. I have a leak in my roof, which would not be so bad, except it is in my bedroom, which also might be tolorable, except it is in the closet--hard to get to and lots of stuff to get wet. But I dealt with it (at 4:30 in the morning)--I went out in the rain to the shed and got a bucket and dryed what I could and got the bucket lined up to take in the water and listened to the drip, drip, drip for the next couple of hours until it was time to get up. Last night I asked Adam to come in to empty the bucket. It is up on a top shelf and I was certain that I could not lift it with all that water. There was a couple teaspoons of water. Adam got a big laugh and I thought good--not much of a leak. Then I thought, or bad, the bucket wasn't under the right place and when I completely empty out the closet I'm going to find a bunch of wet stuff. Luckily the rain stopped.

After Adam emptied my couple of teaspoons of water, I found a grasshopper on my bed. A baby grasshopper that I promptly killed. Then a few minutes later, I noticed another baby grasshopper on my bed which I also promptly killed and I took off all the blankets and pillows and shook them out to make sure there were no more. Phew.

Then in the other room I noticed a lot of ants. I sprayed and cleaned up (the smell is overwhelming, so I wouldn't be able to watch tv and eat my dinner if I left the spray without cleaning it up--even then the smell was bad). I killed a few more ants during the evening, but the spray got them for the most part. Then I went to bed. I noticed a baby grasshopper on the wall and I promptly killed it. Then I noticed another, and another and another. Then I moved the bed out and noticed several more around the window. I killed a bunch of baby grasshoppers and shook out my blankets and pillows a lot. I didn't want to spray because I was afraid that I couldn't sleep with the smell, but I stayed awake a long time trying to "hear" the hop of a baby grasshopper on my bed. Fun times.

I would hurry up and move and sell my house, but who would want to buy it?

5 Comments:

  • At October 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Insects come in from somewhere. Has the house been sealed to the slab? If not, some "Good Stuff" from Home Depot will do the trick. Adam is the perfect guy to go around and seal the house to the slab.

     
  • At October 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's funny that Home Depot has a product called Good Stuff because
    Lowes has a product called Great Stuff.
    This comment was done with my new Dragon


    za

     
  • At October 16, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    I have no help to offer about the bugs, but I am shuddering in sympathy.

    Now we will get a lot more comments from daddy since he won't have to do all that pesky typing.

     
  • At October 16, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    No slab--crawl space over dirt. The source of entry appears to be the little hole for the cable tv. Never stop drinking diet coke for a long time and then drink four glasses just before you go to bed when your bedroom has been infiltrated by baby grasshoppers (even if you've spent 10 minutes hunting and killing all you can find before going to bed). Life lesson.

     
  • At October 19, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Marty may be right and I have changed the name slightly. The can has a foam that oozes out of a very thin stem. In a few seconds the foam starts to expand and seals any opening. It is especially good for cable lines entering the house. Merely place it at the entrance of the cable into the house. The foam expands sealing that area.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home