Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, September 21, 2009

Mouse in the House

Sounds familiar. We had a mouse in the house a year or so ago. This mouse is a little more at home than the last mouse. For the last mouse, I hired an exterminator. We got sticky strips (that Caitlyn stepped in) and mouse traps. We never caught the mouse, but it became clear that the mouse was gone, so all in all a good result.

We still have the mouse trap and I don't want those sticky strips again (although Caitlyn is older, that just makes her all the more curious--besides I almost stepped in one too and getting that glue off Caitlyn was enough to convince me I really don't want to get it on me.)

So do you realize that you have to actually set the mouse trap for it to be a deterrent. It is not enough just to have it in the house. The mouse threw down his gauntlet by pooping right next to the back door. We haven't seen him (except for the one time in the middle of the night), but there are some healthy poops right by the back door. The mouse trap is right out in the open (not set--that would be dangerous, besides I have no idea how to set that thing), but the mouse doesn't care. I haven't found any evidence that he has take up residence in the pantry, but why not--my house is very appealing.

So I have called the cleaning lady to beg her to come back. I've hired her and let her go so many times, that I may have worn out my chances, but the exterminator can only do so much with such an accommodating environment.

I want to hermetically seal the house so that the mouse will have no place to get in, but it is a very old house with lots more problems than a few tiny crawls spaces. I want to hire a contractor--show him the house and have him tell me what I can get done for the small equity loan I can qualify for. But I'm afraid he'll tell me to fix the roof and the roof is not going to solve my annual mouse problem.

Adam says that every time they clean out the brush at the cemetery across the street, we get a mouse. If that is the case, we are lucky that its just one mouse. When we first moved in there was ivy out in front of the house that I had cleared out because someone said that mice live in the ivy. Sure enough when they were clearing it, out ran two mice. So yes, there are mice in our neighborhood. No cats that I have seen--the coyotes get the stray cats, so that means a pretty open field for mice. When I yelled at the dog (not really--just you know--hey dog, why aren't you doing your job protecting our house from the mouse), Adrienne said--it's a dog, not a cat. Do you want to get a cat. NO NO NO. I almost prefer the mouse. Almost.

I'm going to go right home after work and figure out how to set that mouse trap. I'll wear big gloves. I think mice like peanut butter. Everyone does. Adam told me that his friend from Australia had never had a Reese's peanut butter cup and that peanut butter was very rare there. Who knew. No wonder the mice are here. We have a very accomodating environment.

7 Comments:

  • At September 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you know someone that could loan you their cat for a few days? It wouldn't take long. If we lived anywhere near you I would loan you one of mine. Two Toes would have the mouse disposed of along with any bugs too in just a short time! They are like fuzzy little exterminators.
    Tracy

     
  • At September 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    A coyote almost got me this morning. I had to leave for work at 5:30 and there were two of them just meandering down the road. When they saw me open the front door they stopped. I of course rushed back in the house and safely watch them continue on their way from the front window.

    I figured they cleared out the brush since we also had a racoon and a possum a couple of nights ago.

     
  • At September 22, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    Goodness, you would think you guys lived in the wilderness and not on a busy street in California with only a view of the "wilderness."

    I feel your pain. We too had a mouse recently. I have to admit this is a point where I am happy to have a man around. I can take out the garbage (and I do) and I can mow the lawn (I don't, but I could), but the thought of setting that mouse trap (actually more the thought of emptying or disposing of the mouse trap) would have a for-sale sign on my lawn in a flash.

     
  • At September 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Blogger Gretchen said…

    Erika,

    It's not a man your glad to have around, it's just someone else. I remember Mommy setting traps on Navy. And I've set a few myself. The lawn though, that's a whole nother story!

     
  • At September 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Blogger Adrienne said…

    Yeah, but mom called Lenore to come over and empty the traps.

     
  • At September 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Tracy, thanks for the offer of the cat. I didn't think far enough in advance to actually catching the mouse in the trap, but we do have Adam, so it shouldn't be too bad. Berna told me that there is poison that drys the mouse out so that they are easy to dispose of. Be careful what you ask--you really might not like the visual.

     
  • At September 27, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    I once caught a mouse in a trap, he was caught by the tail. In the morning I heard a scratching sound coming from behind the door. Looking behind the door, there he was looking up at me, unable to drag the trap because he was not strong enough to move it far. He needed dispatching and I went to the garage to get a baseball bat. When I got back he was still looking up at me. I positioned the fat end of the bat over the mouse and brought it down onto his head. I missed him. He had moved as the bat descended. I repositioned the bat over him, carefully lowering the bat closer to him so he would not have as much time to respond. I increased my speed and sent the bat onto his head, I missed again. He had just enough manuverability to get out of the way. He continued to look up at me and I down at him. I thought: "This is rediculous, I can't be beaten by a mouse." I tried one more time but he was too fast. I had noticed that he always went to his left. I decided on a fake. I would fake down and then immediately go to his left. Eureka, that did it. The fake works well in basketball and also in killing a mouse.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home