Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Class

With so many people in my house not working, I am very lucky to be teaching again this Semester. For whatever reason, the other teacher that I share the class with has decided not to teach again this year. Lucky for me.

Also, lucky for me is the group of students who have signed up for the class. They are so nice. At the last class, I asked if they wanted more lecture or if they wanted to break into groups to work on a project--they actually asked for more lecture. I love to talk--how great is that. The coolest part is that so far we have also had group work in every class. My previous several classes have been so disruptive that I wasn't able to facilitate group work as much. Lucky duck me.

We are working on the Constitution now--reading through the 1st, 4th and 5th amendments. I think that the concept of double jeopardy has been the most interesting to them so far--the idea that if you are acquited of a crime and then they find proof that you did commit the crime, you cannot be re-tried. It is a great way to show the concept of balancing the individual and society. This is definitely the fun part and we are all enjoying it. Today we are going to read the 14th amendment--not my favorite. Don't get me wrong, equal protection is a great concept and a wonderful thing, but the 14th amendment was poorly written in my opinion and as the instructor presenting the ideas, it is hard not to feel personally responsible for poor drafting.

So far I have a few stereotypical students--one who is very bright and motivated, another who just wants to sleep, another who mostly keeps her head down, until she's engaged and then she's just as passionate as anyone. Girls outnumber the guys, 8 to 1, but he's holding his own. I have three of my students from last year who want to do internships, but I'm not sure I can find three law firms to take them on. Life in the fast lane.

All in all, so far, it is a great class. I hate to let on that it is so much fun, I'd teach for free, because the paycheck comes in very handy. Lucky, lucky me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home