Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, October 09, 2009

Good News

Every morning I awake to news on the radio. Sometimes its an earthquake in Japan or Indonesia or a tsunami in Samoa or a bomb in Afganistan or Pakistan or Iraq. For weeks a few years ago it was terrible bombs in Iraq every single day. There were several days that it was news about North Korea having nuclear bomb capabilities. It has been anniversaries of wars and milestones of the number of casualties in the war. Sometimes it is about scandals in politics and sometimes someone really famous has died. It is a rare day that I am awoken to good news.

Today is that rare and wonderful day. Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Everyone seems to be surprized and so was I. But I am pleasantly and wonderfully surprized. I knew that the committee were thoughtful people who take their task very seriously, but I guess I was so busy being proud of our president that I didn't look up to think that others were proud of him too. When a room full of conservatives cheered that the United States lost our bid for the Olympics, I guess I felt kind of lonely in my admiration.

The commentator quoted the Nobel committee as saying that the prize to Obama was for his approach to world conflicts, by engaging in dialog--for the hope that he brought to the world. Anyway, if he wants to escalate the troops in Afganistan, I am not opposed to that. I hate the taliban. If he takes another approach, I am not opposed to that either. He's the one surrounded by people who know what they are doing. I trust him plain and simple. If anyone can lead us into peace, I think he's the guy that can do it. We've been at war for 8 years (yesterday was the anniversary). It's time.

Our president is the winner of a Nobel Peace Prize. Now that's really cool.

3 Comments:

  • At October 9, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    "An approach to world conflicts." What exactly is his approach? The one where he said we should not be in Iraq but should concentrate on Afganistan? Or, the one where he said he would invade Pakistan in order to get Bin Laden. Or, the one where he said no nation should dominate any other nation? Or, did the Nobel Committee desire to influence any decisions he might make in the future?

     
  • At October 10, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    I happen to think this was a little pre-mature myself. But his approach, that I voted for, is that he is willing to talk. He is willing to think.

    I think they gave him the award for not being Bush, who was as far removed from PEACE as he could get.

     
  • At October 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would be sad if someone gave me an award for NOT being someone else.
    -Tracy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home