Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Special Diet

So I was at a luncheon meeting this week and I brought my chicken and a small bag of chips the way that I do for most luncheons (except when it is at the Hilton--they intimidate me so that I can't carry in my chicken, so this time I brought peanut butter crackers--worked like a charm--oops, I digress). Anyhow, the chicken tasted awful. It got warm from being carried in my purse. I was so happy to get my purse empty enough that I could just throw my lunch in my purse, that I know I won't get to the next level of actually bringing an insulated lunch bag. So I threw it out. I ate a bag of chips and a cupcake for lunch--not good--I mean it tasted good, but not good for me. What do you think that they were serving that I had already turned down--chicken. I hate when that happens.

So I am the president at that lovely luncheon for Glendale Beautiful, who was not eating the lunch provided, so I'm hanging in line with some of the members to socialize. That's very important for a president to socialize and be part of the group--not the elitist attorney who is too busy for such mundane things (which is what I probably seem like most of the time). Anyway, I'm hanging out in line and I have to explain that I am not eating the meal and that I brought my own lunch. So the first person that I say this too, says, "oh, are you a vegetarian?" "No" I have to explain, "I am definitely NOT a vegetarian." And this leads to the discussion of the limited things that I eat: fast food hamburger, fries, pizza and chips--a plain chicken breast every day for lunch. Are chips a vegetable? I like to think so, because it is just too Reagan to call my only vegetable of the day ketchup. Eventually, I am passed to a new group and have to explain again that I am not eating. The newcomer innocently asks "oh, are you a vegetarian?" I hate this job.

So there is a sandwich place downstairs from my office. I don't really like sandwiches, but I do like tomato and bacon on white toast dry. I get a half sandwich to limit the bread. It is quite tasty and it doesn't matter if it is warm or cold. It doesn't fit in my purse, but they will actually give me a brown bag to carry it in. I never take the brown bag--I don't know why. I always throw it into the bag I carry for Kiwanis (with the check books, etc. since I am the treasurer). Anyway, this is a great solution for Wednesdays. It is a little pricey--4.25, but then my chicken is not so cheap either. It is the chips that will kill me though. The sandwich place has absolutely wonderful fresh chips that come in nice huge bags--over 320 calories and believe me, I cannot eat just one serving. My little bag of chips from home (single servings that I am sometimes lucky enough to find at the grocery store) should suffice, but as soon as I walk into the sandwich shop, somehow, the little bag just will not do.

Such dilemmas. I am going to try peanut butter crackers for Soroptimists and the blt for Kiwanis, but Glendale Beautiful--I have no idea--it might be easier to plug my nose and eat what's served. Naaa.

p.s. today I had the best lunch of all--one of the guys had a coupon for Outback. Steak and fries. If I were rich, I'd eat that every day. Of course, karma being what it is, tomorrow I am going to lunch at a co-worker's home. I'm going to bring my peanut butter crackers in my purse and I'm rehearsing my speech of "no, even though I only eat chips and ketchup, I am not a vegetarian..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home