Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, October 23, 2009

Pass the Baby

That is Madilyn's favorite game. She holds her arms out to go to you and then as soon as you have her, she twists around to hold her arms out to the next person closest to her. This morning, she held her arms out to come to me and then she settled in to stay there. Meanwhile, Matthew looked on with a pleading kind of envy like he wanted me to hold him too. I wouldn't hold both of them when they were a lot smaller and I'm not going to start now, but I have held one of them and Caitlyn (who although she weights a lot more is also much better adept at holding on). I can see a time in the future when I will not be able to resist and I will try to hold Madilyn and Matthew, but I really hope that Caitlyn is over me holding her by that time. I carried Adam around until well after five years old, but Marisa would not let me carry her after about age three (although she didn't live with me at the time--being 3,000 miles away might have contributed to the aversion). This does not bode well.

We had a lovely birthday dinner for Marisa last night. We called in a reservation for 10 and we needed three high chairs. It seemed like there were so many menus and place settings on the table. Caitlyn had not had a nap--always a challenge. Somehow we boxed Chris all the way in the corner, but eventually the babies and Caitlyn made their way around to being held by everyone, even Chris in the corner.

The babies are getting very distinct personalities and for twins, they are so different. I want to say that Matthew is more compliant, even though he can be quite loud and demanding. It seems like he is more easily consoled and amused. Madilyn is quieter and can be left to her own devises more, but she is not easily consoled and is harder to settle. That doesn't make sense--you have to be here. They both have the most beautiful eyes and huge smiles. I haven't heard them go on the crying jags that Caitlyn used to do, but maybe they are still a little young for that. I guess we'll see.

Caitlyn is less and less willing to sit still to hold a baby. She has become more agressive at trying to pick them up or take them out of someone's arms to carry them around. Last night her mother let her walk with a baby (Ris was right there with her, but to me it was a scary precedent). She is still way too small to be able to carry a baby, but she'll tell you quite forcefully that she is big. Last week, Adam had my car and Caitlyn commented that my car was gone. I told her that Adam was very big and he was driving my car. She said, with a kind of amazement--"I'm very big, I can drive your car." I backpeddled quickly and said, no, no, Adam took lessons to learn how to drive and she said, "Papa is teaching me how to drive." I asked Taj about it and he said, "How does she remember that I told her that one time when she got into the front seat--months and months ago?"

I have to go lift weights now--I see holding a very big girl and her baby brother and sister all at once in my future. I need to be prepared.

1 Comments:

  • At October 25, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    I think about you telling Adam that you would not carry him anymore when he was 5, every time I carry my sleepy little nearly-six year old downstairs in the morning. I know you didn't stick to it, so i never bothered saying it. I will carry him until he won't let me carry him anymore. Part of that whole, enjoy-them-while-they-are-young thing that is all the rage.

    I also remember you telling Adam that he could sit in the front seat of the car when he was 5 (a long, long, long time ago) and he interpreted that as "I get to drive the car when I am 5!" Good to know that he finally got there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home