Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

OHHHHH Great Tennis

So Petrova played Henin, but I only caught the very end of the match. Apparently Henin owns Petrova, so Petrova is out. Then Venus played Li. Again, my tivo did not tape the match so I didn't see Venus get beaten. I still have not seen Li play this year, but last year she had a good run at one of the turnaments, so she's no push over. Still she's no match for Serena. I did see Serena's match--oh my--what a stunner. Serena was down a set and at 4 games to her LOVE (that means zeroooo) and she came back and won the whole thing. Unbelievable. Sure Azaranka got a few nerves, but she didn't play horrible--Serena just played better. Can you imagine being two games away from winning a quarter final and beating the number one player in the world--haveing a four game lead--Azaranka lost 15 of the next 17 games they played. Talk about heart....break.... (a la Chick Hearns). So we have two Chinese (very unusual) playing Serena on one side and Henin on the other. Li is seeded 16th, but Zheng isn't even seeded. Henin is going to wipe the floor with her and then watch out for the final between Serena and Henin.

On the Women's doubles side it's all top seeds, so Serena and Venus will have a tough time, especially if Li plays Serena hard in the singles semi final. We shall see.

On the men's side--oh my oh my oh my. My supreme favorite Nadal out with an injury. My next favorite Roddick playing through pain almost survived the younger Cilic and then my least favorite--shouldn't even be in the category of favorite except that one time he beat Federer so he sneaked in, Djokovic played through pain, but Tsonga wasn't having any of it and he beat him soundly (though it took him five sets--only his second five set match of his entire career). And then Davydenko was trying to get into my favorite category taking a set off of Federer, but Fed closed him out in summary style in four. Sorry Davydenko you have not made my favorites category. So Tsonga, there is an opening in my favorites category if you take out Federer and then I will even cheer for you against Murray or Cilic. Although that Cilic is playing pretty bravely--I kind of hope that he gives Murray the what for--nah--Murray is pretty formidable--this may be his year to get into my favorites category by taking Federer out in the Final. If Cilic meets Federer, then that will be Federer's lucky day.

The Bryans are up against an unseeded pair in the semi's, but that's not to say that they won't be a challenge, but look for the Bryans in the final for the doubles.

1 Comments:

  • At January 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Have not watched lately but did see a picture of Venus in her black snuggies. At first glance it appeared she had nothing on. Instead of the slow ratcheting up of how can I be more outrageous than you - perhaps it is time to try my airline flight idea - play in the nude.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home