Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Taxes

Well, I have all the info (well most of it anyway), so I sat down to do my taxes today and see how much the damage was. I made less this year (one less job) and I applied my refunds from last year to this years taxes, so the bill this year seems modest. Of course I have less money overall, but oh well.

My taxes are rather complex and though I am fairly conservative in my approach, I find myself wishing I were more agressive in my deductions. That very nice briefcase (that I never used myself) that I donated to charity was surely worth more than $100. But I just can't imagine that I paid more than $100. I would never spend that kind of money on a briefcase. Of course I did, because I am well aware that briefcases are very expensive, but I just can't fathom it. So I'm only deducting $100. It was a really, really nice briefcase. Oh well.

I am deducting my expenses from Glendale Beautiful. Those are business expenses. If I'm not there to drum up business, then there is no purpose at all. I also deducted the cost of my Christmas Cards. I sent out all my own cards this year to my clients. As I write this I realize that I should probably take half the cost off for friends and family (even though I of course want all my friends and family to call me if they need an attorney, but the folks in Michigan, Indianna, Georgia and Florida probably won't be calling.)

California has a very odd tax system. If you make slightly too much, you pay a lot more. Some years I only pay a couple hundred and other years it is over a thousand. My income does not vary that greatly percentage-wise. This year I will pay in the low hundreds. We are facing billions in deficit and I feel privileged to live in this state, so I'm feeling a little guilty for getting off so cheap. They owe me a big fat refund, so I was thinking about loaning it back to them interest free. Then I prepared my budget for the year and realized how much I could potentially go into the hole every month--never mind. I better finance my own budget deficit before I go trying to help California with their billions.

1 Comments:

  • At January 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    One of the nice things about living in Florida, no income taxes. Florida does not care about what you make and keeps no record of your income.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home