Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, January 08, 2010

Friday Goodies

So all my clothes are too small. I have to go shopping for a new suit, because I have nothing to wear to court. Go on a diet I tell myself in an very unforgiving voice. Do you know how much I hate going shopping for a new suit?? I really hate it. I probably wore these shoes (tennis shoes that have to be laced up) on purpose to punish myself and make the suit buying business more tedious. Ugh.

Go on a diet, I tell myself in that smug voice I hate. But I didn't bring my lunch--very bad. I cooked it and walked right out the door and forgot it. That means I will go out to lunch, but I have to go shopping in the mall anyway, so. Except that will be a bunch of calories. No sense in starting a diet before that and I have to get the suit anyway, because it's not like I'll lose a size before next Tuesday when I'm going to court.

So I was driving to work, kicking myself for forgetting my lunch and dreading going shoping when I heard a news story about heroin users dying from anthrax. Apparently heroin in the the UK comes from Afganistan and Pakistan and they both have problems with the antrhax virus in their animals and so it's surprising to the health officials that they haven't seen more deaths from anthrax in the heroin using population. The only advice they can give heroin users is to stop using heroin. As a side note, they described that the spore of anthrax is particularly nasty--it forces your body to produce lethal toxins that basically explode your blood cells so that your organs explode and you bleed to death. As your blood runs out into the field (they were describing farm animals that get the disease) the spore of anthrax survives to contaminate others. That's its life cycle of the virus.

So I'm thinking about how impossible heroin users have it--stop using heroin, extremely difficult or risk having your blood cells and your organs implode in your body. Kind of reminded me that all this weight is going to lead to diabetes--pretty likely--probably more likely than that anthrax thing, but I don't want to be on a diet.

Then I get in the elevator and I remember that its friday. We have my most wonderful chocolate chip cookies from portos on friday. We haven't had friday goodies for three weeks. Our Christmas party was three weeks ago--seasonal home made goodies. Two weeks ago was Christmas. One week ago was New Years. My day was really picking up as the elevator ascended to my office. I tried to be nonchalant as I put my stuff down in my office and grabbed my cup to go to the kitchen. Happy Friday indeed.

No cookies. No goodies. There were some kind of odd pastries. Two of the guys were already going back for seconds and telling everyone in hearing distance how wonderful the goodies were today. I know the food chain in this place--these pastries are going to be showing up forever. Gone are the days of portos. Even if my opinion rated--I'm not allowed to ask for chocolate chip cookies from portos. I need to lose weight. I'm not allowed to want cookies. I should be thanking those crappy pastries for not interesting me in the slightest. They are doing me a great big favor. Thank you very much (sarcasm font).

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home