Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Piano Test Part Duex

This was a tough one. We needed to have prepared a song that I did not know. Oh, I know the notes and even the order and the beat--it has been ringing through my brain for weeks--I practice over and over and over. But I never really get it. It is not coming. I've broken the song into segments, into little tiny morsels. It does not come out well. Every single time I've played it, yuck. But we were having a test. I have to do well on a test. How hard can this be--it is one page of notes and the notes are all in the key of g. This is not difficult stuff. Except apparently for me.

The instructor called on my first--FIRST. I didn't even get to warm up while other people went first, well, except that I got to class a half an hour early to practice of course. I did my scales. Fine. I did my chords. Fine. I did my inversions, but with my nerves I forgot the last one and had to pick around for it. She showed me an easier way to do the fingering (as though I will actually remember it the next time--she is trying to teach me something during a test!!). Then I labored through Camp Town Races--not my finest moment, but it was quickly over. And it was time for the Bagatell--song from hell--the bane of my existence. Nothing to do, but jump in. I banged away at the keys and hit most of the right notes in the right order, not even close to the right tempo or consistant speed, but before I knew it, it was over. I leaped from the stool to go back to my seat and one of my classmates was clapping for my performance and I shot her a death look--do not clap for that disgusting performance. The instructor called me back to get my grade sheet and complimented me for playing well overall. (At least thats what I think she said--the ocean was roaring in my head the way it does when you are really nervous or embarassed about something).

I got an A. At first I lost all respect for the instructor, but then I started to listen to the other students in the class. OMG. In the end, I had to admit that I would have given myself an A also. The bar is reeeeeeally low.

2 Comments:

  • At March 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Great case of nerves from expecting too much from yourself. I would be interested in hearing about your first date with a boy.

     
  • At March 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    I never had nerves going out on a date--public speaking used to be dicey, but I got over it pretty well. But you made me think--it really is unusual for me to be nervous. What was it about the piano test? I think that I want to know how to play so much, but the reality is that I'll always be just so, so at it no matter how much I practice. Darn.

    The good news is that I'm learning Scarbourough Fair--it is still fun and that's all good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home