Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, May 21, 2010

Plans

I like lists. I've been trying to make my life less complicated and so I've been getting a little lax at my lists, but I do so at my own peril. I put things on my calender and in my little electronic notepad on my iPhone, but I am so used to seeing the important things on a list, that I forget to look.

So I make my plans to get a pizza. You may say to yourself, self, why does Kathy need a plan to get a pizza? Simple. The best pizza is at Little Ceasars. There are two Little Ceasars near my house (ha, ha, not exactly near--if they were really near, I'd have pizza everyday, but I digress). One is all the way over in Burbank next to a Vons and the other is all the way on the East side of Glendale (opposite direction) next to a Blockbuster. Further, the pizza has eight slices. The most that I will eat at any one meal is three (but I usually limit myself to two). That means at least three meals from one pizza. It is so disheartening to watch perfectly wonderful pizza go to waste in the fridge if I haven't planned the meals to eat them. If I wait too long, it is not good (really--terrible stomach aches--really not worth it). Further, Tuesday and Wednesday are no dinner at home days and Monday through Friday are lunch at work days (microwave, no toaster over--pizza has to be warmed up in a toaster oven--forget it in a microwave). So planning is a must. Friday is the best time to get pizza, however, Thursday works too, especially if I have to work on Saturday (which makes Saturday a lunch at work day, but then I have dinner on Saturday night--pizza--great incentive to work on Saturday).

[Now you may be saying to yourself, self, I have great advice for Kathy regarding pizza that she can heat up in the microwave or cook at home and not have to drive sooo far or well whatever other advice there is out there. But self, I have tried it all and nothing in the world tastes as good to me as Little Ceasars pizza. Actually it is pretty awful. But I must have had one taste every six weeks or so that was wonderful, because that is what I expect with every bite and until it tastes like dirt, I'll probably stay with my same old routine.]

So the thing that got me started on this blog was my dilemma--I'm planning to have pizza tonight. I have tonight (three slices), tomorrow dinner (two slices) and possibly Sunday lunch (two slices) which leaves one slice left over--a perfectly acceptable breakage. But I might not be home for lunch on Sunday which would leave three slices--what a waste. Now sometimes Adam will help me out and eat some and as long as he leaves two slices for the next meal that I have planned, that is a lovely solution to my pizza dilemma, but sometimes he doesn't leave any and then I am compelled to yell at him for eating my next meal and then he won't eat any for a long time leaving me with pizza breakage that breaks my heart. Life is so complicated.

My dilemma is should I make a list. Pizza tonight, Pizza for dinner tomorrow, possibly pizza for lunch on Sunday. Then I can add take cans in on Saturday, but get to work by 11 because my students might be coming in and I have a bunch of stuff on my desk and laundry tonight and the hairdresser and there is a movie out I haven't seen--should I work that into a plan and then Sunday is an 8 a.m. graduation, but I don't know how long it will take and now I've planned so many things for Saturday, I should try to fit going to work on Sunday too, but that might negate the pizza for lunch on Sunday which was the whole point of making this list in the first place.

[We have chocolate cookies at the office today. I am limiting myself to two, but I could put some in the drawer to bribe myself to come in this weekend. Chocolate chip cookies will trump two day old pizza any day of the week and twice on Sunday--list or no list.]

4 Comments:

  • At May 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    I can see this as a comedy routine with many throw-away lines. To me it is very funny.

    Each person has a favorite maker of pizza and finds other makes a bit wanting, I am no exception. My favorite is Dommino's. I buy the large pizza and the first day will eat two pieces. Thereupon, the rest is frozen as individual slices and one slice serves as a meal until it is used up. The microwave is used to heat it and the taste has diminished a bit, nevertheless, it is still great. At any one time I could eat three slices but I am aware that that much is not good if a consistant weight is a goal. I eat about one slice a week.

     
  • At May 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are all related! Must run in the fam. I like the frozen Red Barron pizza but, the kind that comes in the individual size two pack. I like to eat one of the two and save the second one for another time. I could eat both but, limit myself and sometimes use it as an incentive to do something not fun like laundry. I really like it with one glass of red wine followed by one iced, oatmeal cookie. Yum!
    -Tracy

     
  • At May 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Blogger John Beauregard said…

    I guess we all have our own favorites. Domino's is pretty good but the only time I ever had a Little Ceasar's I did not like it much but that was many years ago.
    The pizza we like is at the Costco deli. You get a very good 18 inch pizza (that is HUGE, most large pizzas are only 16 inches)for only $10. We often go there for lunch, eat our fill then save the rest for lunch the next day. Four very good meals for only $10.
    If you go, try their quarter pound Hebrew National hot dog for only $1.50 including soft drink with unlimited refills. You cannot eat better for less and you do not have to be a member to eat at their deli, it's outdoors. Finding a parking spot, however, is problematic.

     
  • At May 31, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Blogger KathrynVH said…

    Costco would be my favorite pizza, except that even when I can find a parking place, there's no place to sit and even when I find a place to sit, there are people milling around looking for a seat, so that I feel I have to rush. The transactional costs are just too high.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home