Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, May 31, 2010

Oh La La

Great weekend of tennis. What we lacked in quantity, we made up for in quality. It is too bad that Venus had Petrova in her draw, but it was so great that Petrova played so well. In the last part of the second set, I actually saw Petrova smile--a beautiful sight. I really like her. I would not mind at all seeing her in the final against Serena. On the other side of the draw, I so do not like Henin. I'm glad that Sarapova gave her three tough sets, but I wish that she had the game to beat Henin. That would have been sweet, Henin going down in the 3rd. Oh well. Nice to see Jankovic advance, not that NBC actually showed any of the match or even told us the scores, but I digress.

So NBC is showing the Nadal/Hewitt match. Thank you very much, I was very happy to see that match, but then the commentators told us about Ginepri--the last American standing--going to a fifth set. A qualifier against a seeded Ferrero--not an easy feat. So why are you wasting my time showing Nadal dominate poor old Hewitt, I'm screaming at the tv and then magically, as if they heard me (and the millions of other people in America who were all screaming the same thing), they switched over to show the Ginepri match--SCORE..........(the way they say it in soccer). Sweet match. So I'm just over the high of the end of that match when they show us the end of the Verdasco match--oh my, oh my. Great tennis. So I shouldn't complain too much about NBC's coverage (or lack thereof) because they really did go to the best parts of the key matches.

So we are back to ESPN2 today for Ginepri and Djok. Djok is just that. He plays, 'oh, I'm hurting, I can't play in these conditions' BS. I don't like that guy. Not that Ginepri really had a chance, but still. And Murray is out. No one even showed any highlights to show how he was beat. So Djok has a pretty easy field to get to Nadal (who will wipe the floor with him), but Fed has to get through Soderling. This will be a real test for Soderling. We shall see.

On the women's side, Peer is playing Serena now and it is by no means a given that Serena will beat her. I'm loving Petrova's game and I wish she was going to wipe the floor with Henin, but they are on the opposite sides of the draw, so I'll just have to hope that Petrova can stay consistent. I think that she has Jankovic in her field--that would be a great match.

So it occurs to me that all I'm doing is dropping names and that I don't really even know how to play tennis. Therefore, my blog cannot be used for instructional purposes, but only so that you can sound semi-informed in amateur discussions about tennis. Be careful with your pronunciations.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home