Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, June 14, 2010

A Speech

So I am the president of my Toastmasters club and two speakers backed out for this week. As the president, I feel an obligation to step up where ever needed so I agreed to be one of the speakers. So first I need a topic. I have so many to choose from, but I just did a speech on tennis, so I can't do that again. I have done three impromtu speechs in the last year and they've worked out fine, so I feel confident in saying yes to giving a speech with very little notice, but I do need a topic.

So I could give them a synopsis of a movie or book that I've recently encountered, but that's been done. I could give them a description of the class I teach or a subject from the class I teach--been done, been done. I could give them a description of the trial we witnessed last week on our field trip--interesting. It is a death penalty case. We saw the defense putting on the defendants family to testfy why they would miss him if he was executed. OMG! That would be good, but I'm pretty liberal on this subject and it might digress into an anti-death penalty speech, which I have already done with lots of research and this defendant that we saw is not exactly poster boy foder--complete, irreversable scum was what I saw and we were there for the defense's case. Imagine how I would have felt listening to the victims point of view. Certainly plenty to speak about, but I need a thesis, intro, body and conclusion to pull it off.

Now Leon makes me jealous in this regard. He has a ton of great stories with funny asides and a moral at the end of his stories. That's what I need to develop.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home