Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, June 18, 2010

Standards

What are minimum standards? When we compromise those standards for ourselves can we really complain when other people dip below those standards as well?

That's right I'm talking about casual friday. I have worn jeans to work on casual friday, but I have never worn a tee shirt. Once I wore a festive sweatshirt, but I felt uncomfortable. However, with my weight gain over the last couple of years, I must be completely honest and admit that my appearance has deteriorated. I still wear suits and I still wear a pin on my blouse (my idea of a tie) and nothing is wrinkled, but as I've needed to purchase larger sizes, the quality of my suits has deteriorated into, well, they are pretty cheap. And sometimes, if I know I have no client meetings, I wear a sweater instead of a suit jacket. Yesterday, I had a hot flash and I forgot to put my suit jacket back on before my client meeting. He didn't die from meeting with me in just my blouse and slacks, but I digress.

Our receptionist is wearing a sloppy tee shirt. When Marisa was the receptionist called in a moments notice, she wore a top that almost reached the back of her slacks. When I see girls wearing flip flops, I inwardly gag. In theory I applaud women's rights to wear whatever they want. I am thrilled at the freedom young women have to wear flip flops with panache. BUT I must be pretty old, because I just can't stand it. I try to teach my class that there is a dress code for a law office, but I also tell them to dress for the company they interview with. You don't think of Apple as a three piece suit kind of company and that's a good thing, but a sloppy tee shirt as the first person you see in a law office where you have a certain expectation of professionalism???

Truth be told, I was pretty lucky to have a suit and a blouse that fits to wear myself today, because it is laundry day, so I get it. But I really don't.

There are no chocolate chip cookies. I like to keep you in the loop.

P.S. Peanuts joke yesterday: Lucy saying "Look at those stupid bugs..." "They don't have the slightest idea what is going on in this world!" and Charlie Brown says "What IS going on in this world?" and Lucy says "I don't have the slightest idea."

2 Comments:

  • At June 19, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Blogger EZ Travel said…

    The other woman we were travelling with at Disney required her girls to address us by our proper titles. So I was Mrs. Zynda and Rebecca was Professor B***. She explained that the world was seriously lacking a sense of decorum. I never wanted to be able to burp on command more.

    I agree a "sloppy" tshirt is inappropriate in most places of business. But I am very grateful not to have a dress code beyond "neat and clean" at my job.

     
  • At June 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    The other day I overheard something on TV (Pat was watching) that I found curious. A male was telling an audience of women that when they work at home they should dress up just as they would if they worked in the business world. He advocated full facial make-up, great clothes, high heels and jewelry. He stated that it was a celebration of some sort - the rationale escaped me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home