Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Millions of Voices

It looked like all those people attending the inauguration were sitting on chairs. Still I was happy to be sitting in my cozy house to watch President Obama's speech on tv. Doesn't that sound awesome, President Obama. His speech was a little too preachy for my tastes--when the sentences start to click, I have an automatic meter in my head that sends up the red flag, but I'll take preaching over doesn't make any sense, anyday. His message is not all that profound, except that he's willing to say out loud what all of us know already--we have hard times and we all have to pitch in and work. Is anyone out there not in the choir? If so, then I hope this wakes them up.

Erika said it best in her blog this morning--finally we are able to hold our heads up high, proud of our leader. President Obama gave a thank you to outgoing President Bush for his service and in my head I sneered. I want to be thankful for his service, because you could not pay me enough money or glory to take that job, but I have no gratitude to spare for Bush. To my mind he has done more to undermine this country than a million terrorists could ever accomplish. I can't remember past inaugurations, but no matter how much we didn't like the outgoing president, I can't remember no applause at all for the outgoing president. Was it me, or did he even look a little guilty to accept Obama's thanks. It was probably me.

I am a little worried about how religious Obama appears to be. I have learned to be afraid of religion. I hope that he will make religion a good thing again, because at its core, religion should be a good thing.

Obama has so much work to do and he seems so competent and intelligent. I like how he is trying to lower our expectations of recovery, because he is such an attractive comodity that we can't help but expect miracles. I'm afraid we already got our miracle in that he actually wanted the job and is willing to do it. The rest is just going to be good old fashion hard work. My sleeves are rolled up. Good luck Mr. President and God Bless you and God Bless the United States of America. Oh wait, He just did. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

1 Comments:

  • At January 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    You have peaked my intrest with your statement: "I have learned to be afraid of religion." What lessons did you recieve to cause your fear?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home