Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

So this is Christmas

The good news is that I have all my Christmas shopping done. The bad news is that I wish I didn't. This year all the presents that I wanted to get each person fell into place with very little hustle and bustle of the season. Some years when Christmas shopping is done early, I second guess myself and in a frenzy do a lot of last minute shopping. This year, although I was done early--there was little second guessing and what little doubts I had were easily satisfied with easily attained items that will be wonderful. No last minute stress, no sweating in my heavy coat, standing in long lines to spend money that I don't have. I can't believe I'm actually saying it, but I miss it.

I was in court this morning. I was looking forward to the cozy hallways filled with good cheer. I was looking forward to the usually harried clerks decked out for the holidays sporting rare smiles. I was looking forward to mean judges, softened and tolorant. My judge did say Happy Holidays, but that was the only indication that it was almost Christmas. There were no smiles by the clerks, there was no cozy hallway, there was no good cheer. I wore the only Christmas pin I saw and there were no decorations at all. It was like any other day, but somehow more depressing for the lack of the expected good cheer.

Similarly my office held the Christmas party last friday. This week is kind of a throw away, but no one seems jolly. Some of our decorations fell down and we just put them away.

At home, I put up the tree last weekend. The boxes didn't stay out for three weeks. I didn't take days to place the decorations. We didn't play Christmas music while decorating the tree. The three year old who helped me trim the tree wasn't all that impressed with my old favorite ornaments. She said her dutiful "ohhhs" when I showed her her Mother's picture ornament when she was a girl, and her own baby picture ornament, but she was much more intent to put as many ornaments onto one branch as said branch would allow and I was preoccupied with not allowing her access to the breakables.

Still I went to see two movies about the holidays--Four Christmases and Home for the Holidays--both very good and fun. I saw the snow at the Americana--which is a beautiful outdoor mall decorated to the hilt. It is just magical. Further, knock on wood, we have food on the table and a roof over our heads (ok, so mine is leaking, but only in the closet). Erika had pictures of her visit to California two years ago on her blog--what fun memories. Could Jackson have just been Caitlyn's age? I remember Jackson and I walking around the block hitting trees with a stick. Caitlyn and I walked around the block a couple of months ago with her big box of chalk in her baby's stroller. Good times.

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus, but in times of recession, you have to look a little deeper than the trappings--close your eyes--feel the loving memories and count your blessings.

Merry Christmas to all--may it last in your heart for as long as possible.

1 Comments:

  • At December 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    I am impressed with the improvement on the second guessing, for me that is a signal that you have reached a higher level of maturity.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home