Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

L is for Law

I went to law school for fun. I hadn't seriously considered being a lawyer--I just wanted the law degree. When I told someone at law school that I didn't have any real plans to be a lawyer, he was horrified--why are you going to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer? He really didn't believe me, when I said that I was there for the education--that the subjects were very interesting to me. Actually that conversation kind of woke me up and I realized that I better become a lawyer or I was going to waste a whole lot of hard work and my new greatest asset--my lawyer brain. When I meet a new client, that's what I'm selling--my lawyer brain. I worked hard for this brain, so I have to keep reminding myself not to give out information for free.

Anyway, a few years ago, I ran for public office. If I had won, I would have given up practicing law. At first I was pretty sad that I lost. I hate to lose. Then I got to talking to this woman at a ABWA convention, who was getting a divorce. Her soon to be ex-husband had just filed bankruptcy and her divorce attorney was telling her that she needed to hire a bankruptcy attorney. She couldn't even afford her divorce attorney and now he was telling her she needed a whole different attorney. I sat and explained all the ins and outs that she was going to have to look out for in her soon to be ex-husband's bankruptcy and then I gave her some advice about her divorce proceeding. An hour later I was still animatedly explaining her options and what she should do next. That's when I realized, there's no way I could give this up. I love this stuff.

2 Comments:

  • At November 12, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    I'm glad you love it, because somebody has to... Not that it doesn't interest me, but I don't have that lawyer brain like you do.

    By the way, I would have voted for you! What public office were you running for anyhow?

     
  • At November 13, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Every law office needs someone like you to sit with clients that have zero information on the law. To many lawers are condesending and confuse clients with what they view as their superior knowledge.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home