Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, November 07, 2008

You'd think I'd start preparing

I mean it's not like I don't know the alphabet. The first thing that came to mind (not using family or Erika's choice) was Grades. I was so jazzed to get an A or even an A-. I guess it was because I did not make good grades in high school, so when I was able to attain them in college, I really appreciated them. In Law School, I was happy with a B--it was more numbers by then and rank against everyone else. There were many classes in which no one received a score over 90. I did make the highest grade in my Corporations Class--a 94 (and worked my behind off to do it). The only other A that I received in Law School was in Contracts. Coincidentally, my one published opinion was an issue that I learned very well in Law School Contracts. Our Professor had a real think for estoppel and even though the cases were against us, I made my colleagues leave in the estoppel issue in our appeal brief. We won on that issue.

Now that I'm teaching a class, I go completely by numbers for the grades. If the students perform the required tasks, they attain the points and with enough points they attain the grade. I approach my class as a practical skills class. If the students perform the skills, they get the points. If their essay has the required structure, they get the points. The fact that it is filled with nonsense doesn't matter. That's hard for me. This class is supposed to be preparing kids for a job in a law office, but I get a mix of kids--some who aspire to be the receptionist and others who aspire to be a lawyer. Content counts for the latter and I worry about not holding them to a higher standard. I have one student who is very bright, but lazy. I'm blown away by his written work, but he just won't do the busy work. I remember be similarly frustrated by busy work. I've another student who does all the busy work very competently, but who won't articulate a point to save her life. To me, they are both A students, but where's the consistency.

I must admit I am a lenient grader and I offer many extra credit opportunities. I guess I just love A's, whether I make them or give them out.

1 Comments:

  • At November 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    It amazes me that you are conflicted when grading. For me, I never had trouble of that kind. Then again, I did not require students to write essays.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home