Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, July 02, 2010

The Wall

I've hit it. After getting up at 5:00 a.m. each morning since Monday and staying up past 11 watching the matches that I tivo'd, I just couldn't keep my eyes open to watch the Djokovic match this morning. I blearily saw that Berdych had taken the first set and I fell back asleep. When I woke up again, he had taken the second set and was ahead in the third (or so it looked to me behind half closed eyes). I turned it off content that like me, Djok was out for the count.

Nadal is playing now, but NBC is too untennis to show me the match live (not to mention that I had to come to work--but accomodations could have been made). The news said that he was up a set, but I am afraid to look. England wants Murray to win so badly--almost as much as I've wanted Roddick to win. But it is my Nadal. I want my Nadal to win.

When I did get up, I watched the Djok/Berdych match from the beginning. Wow, that Berdych is no slouch. Djok is not playing badly--Berdych is really giving him what for. I am saving the third set for tonight (because I had to come to work and I already know who won, so it seems silly to stay home to watch a match that I have taped.) Djokovic lost the second set tie breaker in which he saved about six set points on a double fault. That was awful. I tried not to be disappointed in Berdych's yell of victory at Djok's mistake. I mean, he really needed to win that set because if Berdych had lost after all those opportunities it would have been awful. But to win on a double fault... That's just sad. On the other hand, why did Djok get a double fault in the first place: because Berdych was so great at returning the second serves. Djok was winning critical points because he was going for the big serve and gutsy second serves. When you go for the big serve, you risk the fault. When you throw caution to the wind on your second serve, you risk the double fault. So therefore, YES! Berdych, but you didn't hear it from me. [No matter who's playing, when a critical point comes on a second serve, the litiny in my head is "don't double fault, don't double fault" friend or foe.]

Serena is getting old. I still like her in the final to win, but as I watched her match yesterday, I was struck by her opponents youth in comparison. [Youth seems like a distant memory to me--the babies wanted to hand me their toys, but I had to get down on the floor so they could reach me and I couldn't do it. I had to get a chair. Oye, but I digress.]

So only three more matches to go (and a third set of the match I already know the outcome of). I will get up at the crack of dawn for two more days, but I have a little more faith that NBC will not time delay for the West coast for the final, so if I roll over, the match will be waiting for me when I wake up on tivo. Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home