Procrastination (But I Digress)

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

4th of July Sale

So Adam says last night at about 5:30 or 6 p.m., "I need a bed." He has a futon bed and I have been bugging him for years to let me get him a real bed, but he has insisted for years that the futon is fine--he likes it. Never mind that the poor boy has terrible problems with sleep issues (up most nights unable to fall asleep), never mind that he has grown a lot since we got the futon and never mind that its a FUTON! So I've been waiting for the green light to get him a real bed for a long time. The crushing disappointment that he comes to this realization(FINALLY) at the end of the forth of july holiday weekend was immediate. What?? I scream at him--you are telling me now, late Monday?? Apparently, he came to the realization over the weekend that he spent up in San Francisco staying somewhere they had a real bed and his futon has broken slats and he did just wake up (I'm just guessing the last part--he's always sleeping when I try to call him).

Ok, I regroup and remember that I've been wishing for this day for many years. Be careful what you wish for, blah, blah, blah.

One of the arguments that I've made to Adam to get him to agree to a new bed, is that Megan can use this bed after he moves out if he doesn't take it with him. Since he is discussing moving to Australia for a year or so, it is pretty likely that he won't take the bed with him.

He wants to go to IKEA and they are open until 9 p.m. (even on a holiday). There's no chance that I'll be able to find a holiday sale or even a sale paper, so I resign myself to the off size, futon like selection of IKEA and off we go.

That store is enormously huge. We walked for miles through living rooms, kitchens, offices, shelving, even a whole section of chairs--just chairs, all shapes and sizes as far as the eye could see, which wasn't that far in the absolute sea of people--it was so crowded. Finally, we came to a bed section. There were some pretty fancy bed posts and headboards and I started to worry that we couldn't just find a simple frame, box and mattress. We kept walking and we hit pay dirt--a very large selection of mattresses. They had a wall of selections of different configurations of foam or spring mattresses--a virtual morass of firmness quantities. They had another wall of slat configurations and a variety of methods to house them. [Adam wanted to just get the slats and put them on the floor--but luckily this was not cost effective. What was I thinking that I even considered it.] They had about twelve beds set up to test the various firmness and overall look of the various mattress choices. We sat on a few and I was not impressed. There was a skinny looking one that seemed a glorified futon to me. Then I sat on it. Hey, this is pretty comfy. Adam sat on it and liked it right away. I bounced a little. This is not a firm mattress--it is more plush. Well, Adam is young. I need a firm mattress for my back, but I remember being young and thinking that I would never get a firm mattress--you want to be comfy and snuggle down in your bed--duh (I was pretty cocky when I was young).

Then I looked at the price. OMG it was so cheap. It was a lot less than I thought it would be, so I started looking for the catch. The box is separate (also cheap) and the steel frame is separate (much nicer than I ever had when I was younger and getting the cheapest thing that they would sell me), and also pretty cheap. OK, we'll take it we tell the girl at the little desk in the department. She imputes our choices into the computer and it spits out two papers. The first is the identification of the bins for the parts that we pick up ourselves and the second is the sheet that they will pull from the warehouse and bring out to us. PICK UP OURSELVES? It's a bed--I can't lift a bed. But hey, it's IKEA. If anyone can make a bed that I can pick up myself, it'll be IKEA.

So we go downstairs (except that it take a really long time to get to the stairs, because you have to go through a section of the restaurant and it was really crowded). The long, long, long trip that we took to get to the mattresses in the first place we now have to do in reverse to get back out. We pass bedding. Now it is on my mind. I've had my comforter for about 20 years--it is time. The prices are very reasonable. I mull, Adam grabs the first one that I lean toward and we're off. I see the covers for comforters and I back track to review my options. Adam immediately has a favorite and while I mull, he checks the sizes and picks up my first choice and he's off. I lag, but don't want to loss him in the crowd. They had 4dishcloths for 2.99--2.99, the prices were insanely low. I grabbed two packs on the run. We got to the isles and bins to pick up the bed parts. We got the industrial size cart and put the first piece in. Then the mattress that was in a roll--suction packed and completely compact. It was going to fit in my car--amazing.

We stood in a very long line to pay and then we went over to the area to pick up the box spring. Our number was 4445. They were on 4406 and it was going to be a half an hour. They only had Pepsi. They also had Cinnamon rolls and the smell was so delicious. Now I know that I only marginally like Cinnamon rolls and I really didn't want them, but they really smelled so good that I didn't even have to buy them or eat them to enjoy them. Ikea is a genius. After we had waited for a while, I noticed that the guy called a number and the other guy at the delivery desk said, that ones for delivery and they took it back. Hummm. Interesting. So I went to the delivery desk (and waited in line) and I asked if I could arrange delivery before they brought out my order. Yes. Do I have to wait for my order. No. I love Ikea. Can they deliver the frame (that was really long and might not fit in my car) with the box. Yes. For the same price. Yes. I really love Ikea.

We chose 8 to 12 the next day (today) and they were there at 8:30. It was in the house so fast I didn't have time to even think about tipping the guys and they were already gone. Cool.

Adam's asleep, so I don't know how he's going to fit that bed in his room (which is full to the ceiling with stuff), but hypothetically, he can use the foot print of the futon that he has now for the bed. The bed is a bit bigger. Oh well, I've done my part. It is washable. That's right, a washable mattress. I love Ikea.

1 Comments:

  • At July 7, 2010 at 3:51 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    What a nice story, also informative. I have never been to IKEA but I will certainly visit it when I can. Yes, shopping can be a pleasure when the merchant has predetermined what customers want and then provides just that. (Even the smell in the right area.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home