Procrastination (But I Digress)

Monday, May 05, 2008

Dexter

I am really enjoying the series Dexter. There are a few things that are slightly uneven, but all in all it is a very interesting show. If someone had told me that I would like Dexter and had described the premise (a serial killer who only kills bad people), I would have politely laughed and said, probably not. Dexter is a sociopath--make no mistake, but it is human nature to atribute humanity to other human beings. The character seems normal, but as viewers we are allowed into the internal dialog to hear just how hard he works to appear normal. It is like watching a program about some one who is autistic. From an entertainment standpoint we want "Rainman" to connect with another human, but the logical part of my brain says not so fast and loose with the facts. Last night on the episode of Dexter, he kissed his sister, goodnight. Ok, she was supposed to be asleep, but still--alarm bells went off in my head--no way, completely out of character. This guy can bearly carry on a normal conversation, much less show the slightest emotion. Tenderness is forced for public display of normalacy only. It turned out to be a trick--wow. He even fooled someone who knew him really well.

I know, I watch too much tv.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home