Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tennis All the Time

I can't remember ever seeing a match from the Australian Open before. I remember hearing the results of the finals, but never seeing a match. I love ESPN2--this is so great seeing the whole open. This is the first open of the year, so most of the players are injury free and fresh. The afternoon games start about when I get off of work, so I can see them in the evening and the evening matches are overnight, so I can tape them and watch them in the morning (with fast forward control when it gets boring and replay when it's not.)

The Williams sisters are out of both singles and doubles. Talk about a bad couple of days--up until the end they played so great. The Serbs are all having great success, but Maria is going to slaughter them. I'm holding out hope for Nadal, because he's my favorite, but Roger is playing really well.

Uncle Marcel, it's really really rare for someone to take Roger to five sets, but it's easy to understand why you thought it looked like an easy win for Roger--he makes it look so simple that most players just assume that he'll win (because 99 out of 100, he does). Tipseravic actually looked like he thought he might win against Roger and that was amazing. Then he took him to five sets--unreal. Blake folded in three. Now I expect Nadal to take Roger to five, but he's beat him at the French and he's the number 2 player in the world for two years. I never even heard of Tipseravic before--he's in the top 100, but I still couldn't tell you his ranking.

The stadium in Australia is something else that I've never seen. It was very nice not to have the extended rain delays, but it was kind of eerie to see an indoor match that wasn't an exibition. After seeing the two tournaments in person this year, I have to admit, I'd much rather watch them on tv. It was so hot in the stadiums. And I'd much rather watch them on espn2, then any other network. They have great commentators and except for all the ed commercials, they don't have too many commecial breaks. The only commentator I haven't seen yet is John McEnroe--I wonder where he is? I'm torn between really looking forward to the rest of the games this week and being really sad that it's almost over.

1 Comments:

  • At January 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    To be a fan of a sport and follow the major players is most satisfying. But you made a comment that has revealed your true nature as a fan. That comment, to me, indicates a maturity that few fans reach. You prefer to see it on TV where the view is better, commentators are better, the climate is controlled, food and drink are at your fingertips, there is no line for the bathroom and the trip home is safe and short. Now, that is truely understanding what is important in life. Why seek discomfort?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home