Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, January 25, 2008

Depression (again)

My maturity as a fan does not extend to being able to shake off grueling loss. When Nadal lost yesterday (really in the middle of the night, but I taped it and watched it in the morning before going to work), I was devastated. I gamely took a little more care getting ready for work--pampering myself by wearing pink (it's my favorite color, but really I shouldn't wear it everyday--people will talk). I took extra time to make a really delicious lunch. I allowed myself two little bags of m&m's and promised myself that it would be fine. I mean Nadal is not known for his hard court play--it's wonderful that he made it to the semi's. He's young--there's always next year and hey, the French is next. He always does well at the french, but wait, Tsonga is French. Maybe he won't come up in the draw. And anyway, I finally like Roger, so I really want Roger to win the Australian anyway. He'll slaughter Jok and teach this kid Tsonga a lesson.

And I was fine. Yesterday was a productive, good day. Lunch was excellent. I had soup for dinner--a rare treat and especially nice on a cold and rainy night.

I set my tape machine up to tape the Fedder win over Djokovic and went to sleep. I did set it for five hours. I didn't really expect that Djok would just roll over for Fedder--it might actually go five sets. Adrienne asked me if I saw the match this morning and I said "don't tell me I'm going to replay it now." That should have warned me. No one cares if Roger wins again. Why would she even know to ask me.

I started the tape and Djokovic was staying in the match. Roger was making some errors I don't usually see him make. Djok broke Roger in the first set and all of a sudden, he looked like he was really going to make a match of it. Then Roger kept losing the big points. What's going on here. Has the world fallen off its axis??? Roger lost the first set. He got broke again in the second, but broke back. He lost the tie breaker. Roger doesn't lose tie breakers. Roger saved a few match points, but Djokovic swept Roger in three sets.

Djokovic and Tsonga??? Who cares? I am so depressed. The agony of defeat. By osmosis even. Maria better kick some Ivanovic behind tonight. It's still raining and I think I'm out of soup.

2 Comments:

  • At January 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Blogger Sean M. said…

    Well I'm glad someone is keeping up with all this tennis! I'm looking to your blog for updates, since I can't seem to catch any of these matches on tv... Good reporting!

     
  • At January 27, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    When I heard that Federer lost the first thing I thought was, Kathy must be feeling really bad now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home