Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, February 01, 2008

The Cough

Twenty-one days ago I felt a tickle in my throat and thought--this is not good. It was not a little tickle--it was a real pain. I'm catching a cold, I thought and immediately took vitimin C and went on Storm Watch, I mean Cold Watch. Every twinge was suspect--was this part of the flu? Every sneeze was blown out of proportion--is this pnemonia? I did not get a fever, but I was very acky over that weekend and I decided to bite the bullet and stay home from work sick for the next three days. The problem was that I couldn't sleep much.

It is my opinion that my nose is different from all the other noses in the world--mine would win the gold medal in running. In the past twenty-one days I have filled large garbage bags with kleenex--I really ought to buy stock.

Anyway, trooper that I am, I went back to work on Thursday, still pretty sick. I left after 1/2 the day. Then I went in again on Friday, but again left after 1/2 the day. I went in the whole next week--still not getting better. I stayed in on the weekends and as quiet as possible. When I am very quiet and I don't move, I start to feel better. So then I think maybe, just maybe I can do one of the millions of things piling up while I am on sick leave. So I do one thing--no problem, then I do another-no problem. I'm fine I say to myself and I plunge into the work. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I start coughing. Deep, horrible coughs from the bottom of my toes. I get dizzy from the coughs and I can't stand. I'm sick I think--I should be home in bed. But when I stay in bed, I'm fine. Is this bug that has stricken me trying to put me in jail?

Well I've been at work for two weeks while coughing like a crazy person. The receptionist is sick, and now one of the other attorneys is sick. They seem to have the same symptoms as me, so I feel guilty. How long is long enough to be off sick--I mean 21 days is a long time to stay in cough jail.

p.s. I went to the doctor this week--she said it's bronchitis and she gave me antibiotics. Now I just have to stop procrastinating. I'm fine--if I don't move. Reminds me of babysitting an infant when they just nod off to sleep after screaming for hours--you don't want to move for fear of waking them up. I'll just sit at my desk very quiet and type--typing won't make me cough-right?

2 Comments:

  • At February 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    It takes a lot to make you understand that you are sick. However, just like many Beauregards, you do not know how to take it easy. Easy is an art form that some do not require learning. You do have to learn it, feel it, and make it a part of your normal intelectual response for some situations, like now.

     
  • At February 2, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Blogger KRISTA said…

    That's it! I am stubborn and on the go 24/7 becuase of "Beauregard" Well, enough is enough, we need to change "Beauregard" to "We Will Guard" that way we have no excuse! Just a thought since it seems we are ALL the same.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home