Procrastination (But I Digress)

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tax Fun Time USA

I have another very bad cold, but except for the toe numbing coughing and the purpetual running nose and occasional sore throat and the fake, annoying sympathy from people tired to death of all that ridiculous coughing, I'm fine.

When you are sick, but functioning, procrastination is much, much easier to accomplish. I should be doing a lot of things, but I'm sick. I'm not so sick that I can't do anything, but since I have a perfect excuse not to do the yucky things, maybe I'll indulge myself and do something fun. Let me remind you that I am sick (coughing, sniffling, etc.). I found myself wanting to do my taxes. I considered this a guilty pleasure taking me away from my regular work, but still something that really did need to be done.

This year my taxes will be as complicated as taxes can ever get, since I inherited money from my Aunt's estate which included interest, dividends, qualified dividends, IRA distributions, foreign tax credit and a large deduction for estate taxes. Did you know that the Alternative Minimum Tax is a morase of calculations that seem to have no grounding in reality or logic? At the end of three hours figuring out my Alternative Minimum Tax, it was about $30 less that my regular tax. You have to use the higher number. But it was like a puzzle, sending you to this form and that worksheet. I didn't get enough of it two days ago, that I wanted to do my California taxes yesterday. I was so happy with my federal return, that I was sure Cal would be a breeze. California doesn't recognize my largest deduction. It was very disappointing to complete relatively easier paperwork with a much more depressing number than I was expecting.

Needless to say, I have no interest in now, actually finishing my taxes. All the fun stuff has been done, so they will take their proper place on the procrastination shelf. I have court tomorrow and I think (I'm not sure, mind you, but I think) my clients would really like me to bring my A game. The A game takes a little prep, so off I go into the wild blue yonder to shoot down some red baron.

1 Comments:

  • At March 16, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Blogger Marcel said…

    Just imagine getting to this time of the year and having nothing to do. No forms, no looking up expenditures, no adding machine, just sail out of all this trouble. It can be had if citizens will support the "Fair Tax". The IRS is then abolished and there is no fear of having made a mistake on your form because there is no form. It sounds just too good to be true.

    Get well soon and for good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home