Procrastination (But I Digress)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

It's a Job

I finished my term as President of ABWA in June. The day of the meeting to install the new president, I suddenly remembered that I needed to thank all my chairs and board members. This is an important job of the outgoing president and one that I am particularly bad at. (Ending a sentence with a preposition--I was just discussing that with a process server down at the court yesterday while I waited almost an hour for a copy to be made. They thought the copies cost $10, for twenty pages--outrageous, right--not even close--$275 plus the $10. Any hoo, we decided (the process server and I) that usage cures all. If we want to end sentences with prepositions, then we are just going to have to do it--like the Nike comercial--just do it.)

Where was I, oh yes, spending a ridiculous amount of money to buy last minute gifts for my chairs and other board members to say thank you. And of course at the last minute there is absolutely nothing personal about the gift--it's just going to collect dust at the bottom of some bag.

So this morning I happened to wake up a half hour early. Before I would actually let myself get out of bed early (I mean really, what is the point if you can actually sleep an extra half hour), I had to come up with a productive way to spend that additional half hour. I could make a list I thought. Sure, I just made lists (that's right plural--sue me) yesterday, but it was very satisfying and I can always use more lists. So I got up, did my routine and when it came time that there was extra time, luckily I remembered my "make a list" plan. What list should I make, the possibilities are endless. Next month is the end of my term as President of Kiwanis. I don't want to be in the same boat as I was with ABWA, so I need a list of thank you gifts for the chairs and board members of Kiwanis that won't cost any money and that don't take too much time to make (I love toying with the idea that I'm going to cross-stitch or make a gift--I'm just too adorable sometimes--insane, but adorable).

A list of thank you gifts--did I mention I'm really bad at this. Well I have to give Dave Fortune something--I mean really, he did my job for me. He was always in the background calling all the shots, setting the programs, calling out the color of the day--hey, just like the Wizard of Oz. Oooh, I like this analogy. I'm always wishing that I could spend more time at home, but I'm just too busy out battling the evil of apathy and indifference (wicked witchs of the east and west). You get the idea--my list is really very cool. Now if I could just think of something I could buy or hey, I could even make something. I have plenty of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home