Procrastination (But I Digress)

Friday, January 28, 2011

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The good thing about the Australian Open is the amount of coverage on ESPN2--I saw a surprisingly high number of matches. I think the reason is the timing. Football is almost over and Australia is 19 hours ahead, so the prime time of matches are in the middle of the night for us. That is also the bad news--in order to watch the games live, I have to stay up overnight. The first night I stayed up through the opening set to see how it was going--wow, wow, wow was that Federer/Djokovic match fantastic, but my eyes kept closing on me. I ended up going to sleep and trying to finish it in the morning, but the UGLY was that the dvr cut off with the scheduled end time and of course it wasn't over. So the good is that ESPN2 replayed it again later in the day, so I taped the shows that followed it as well. The bad is that one half hour show got missed so I missed several games in the middle of the third set--oh well, I got to see the end-OH MY, OH MY, OH MY. Djokovic might have to become my new favorite player (as long as Nadal is out anyway--that was UGLY, when Nadal lost to Ferrer--Ugly, Ugly, Ugly).

Anyway, the next night I only stayed awake for the opening games--Ferrer was giving Murray as good as he got. They stayed pretty much even which really meant that Ferrer was playing great and Murray was having a bit of an off match. Murray really has superior skills, but Ferrer was much, much more focused. This morning, I went to watch the tape and it was all there--success.

Tonight is the women's final. Oh, the match between Li Na and Wozniaci was so amazing. Li Na was down a set and down in the second 4-1. And let me tell you Caroline is a fighter in the extreme--she doesn't GIVE anyone anything. There are some players who beat themselves (Sharapova), but not Wozniaci. Li Na had to take that match away from her and she did it in spectacular form. So now we get Li Na (first Chinese Women to reach the finals in any grand slam event) against Kim Clijsters. Li Na has a great game, but I still like Kim to win it all. And Justine Henin retired again. The commentators were all nice to her and about her, but all I could think of, was she didn't place well enough, so she didn't want to play anymore. They said something about an injury, but I'm prejudiced because I have just never liked her.

So in the middle of the night tonight, Li Na will take on Kim Clijsters. I want to stay up all night and watch it so I will be good and tired tomorrow and take a nap, so that I can stay up all night on Saturday to watch Djokovic v. Murray. After the Djokovic/Federer match, I'm pretty sure that I will be strongly rooting for Djokovic, but the commentators are all pretty excited about how good Murray is when he is totally engaged. I haven't seen it, but hopefully Djokovic will bring out his best.

All in all, I'm disappointed that Nadal is out and that he is injured--that is ugly. There is a tournament in Indian Wells in March and I'm guessing he will not attend. I just hope that he is 100% for the French--he owns that one.

The Good (Djokovic--Wow, just Wow), the Bad (I better figure out the taping just in case I fall asleep) and the Ugly--I will have to stay up until 2 or 3:30 or even 4 in the morning--I'm no spring chicken--this will get ugly--I see toothpicks holding my eyes open in my future.

1 Comments:

  • At January 30, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Blogger Marcel said…

    I have just watched the men's final with Djokovic winning, you had your money on the right man. It was amazing how poorly Murray played, then again, I have never seen him play well. When he lost the first set he made gestures to let his bench know to just cool it. I found that unacceptably arrogent, like he was saying: I have him exactly where I want him. I did miss Federer in the final.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home